Repeat Breeding? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Question Repeat Breeding?

As a breeder, do you often repeat a breeding if the first one turned out to be great?

How many times would you breed to the same male?

What are the pro/cons of repeating a breeding in your opinion?

Dennis does not like to repeat breedings because he wants to see what a female produces no matter the male. Having said that we are making an exception with Tara/Dorian. We had plans to breed Tara to a very nice male (and we still plan too in the future) but due to our circumstances right now and the fact that the Tara/Dorian (Cisco, Cobra, Carlo, etc.) litter was so outstanding and everyone is extremely happy with their pups, we have decided to repeat it, but she will never be bred to Dorian again after this.

I've talk to some people and they couldn't believe we didn't want to repeat the Tara/Dorian litter so obviously everyone sees things differently.

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Crowned Member

after seeing Cobra in those pictures in the other post.... i say do the repeat. I would kill to have a dog like her! (only in a male lol)
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Did you see the post of Cash v. Zioner Berg? That's her brother, very similar in coloring.

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Crowned Member

no i havent seen it. now i'm curious! lol i told my hubby about your dogs. he got that "dear god please dont spend money on another dog!" look on his face but didnt say anything. I asked him if i could adopt a senior dog when we own our own house at our next duty station and he said long as we can afford it... but..... we'll see.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 03:06 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

There are pros and cons to repeating a breeding. You already mentioned one -- wanting to show that a good female can produce well whatever the sire. Another thought is that it reduces the gene pool by having too many full siblings available. Others also believe that if you repeat a breeding it may be because you are breeding to your stud to reduce costs, or because you don't have the knowledge to choose another good stud dog (not saying that this is the case at all -- just thinking out loud). Also it may not turn out as well the second time.

The pros would be that you know you got a great litter the first time, so why not repeat it.

My advice would be -- don't listen to us, listen to your gut and do what you think is best.

Last edited by Andaka; 09-09-2010 at 03:07 PM. Reason: typo
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andaka View Post
Others also believe that if you repeat a breeding it may be because you are breeding to your stud to reduce costs, or because you don't have the knowledge to choose another good stud dog (not saying that this is the case at all -- just thinking out loud).
I think those are silly reasons but that's just me, definitely not our case.

Carolina Johnson

Last edited by GSDBESTK9; 09-09-2010 at 03:48 PM.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Doc
Knighted Member

Not sure why you wouldn't repeat a breeding if the pups are outstanding. If you are trying to determine if the dam is prepoent, then mating to a different sire is understandable. Same if you are trying to see if the sire passes his characteristics to his off-spring.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 08:02 PM
Crowned Member

As a buyer, I don't see anything wrong with it as long as it's an informed decision. I understand Dennis' position, but if breeding involves very careful selection of pairs, I think it stands to reason that some of those pairs are going to produce better offspring than others and don't see anything wrong with that. Otherwise, why would breeders be so careful in selecting studs if the female is expected to produce the same way every time? Besides, it's you guys' program so if YOU like what you've produced and it meets your goals then by all means repeat the breeding.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Crowned Member

From a buyers prospective, I would be more willing to buy a pup from a repeat breeding as I could see how the progeny had already turned out. Especially when it comes to health(allergies and structure)
And when you have the litter beforehand showing so much potential, it would make sense to repeat!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Crowned Member

Arrrgghh!! Could you please wait a few years so i can have one!!!!!!????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page