HELP!!! Tang isn't Lactating!!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

HELP!!! Tang isn't Lactating!!!!

Not nearly enough. Gave her Oxytocin, cottage cheese and hamburger...pups are either gaining slightly or staying the same. I am worried! it has been over 24 hrs since whelp!

Marisa and the Dizzy dogs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Draven, Tang and Rev The GSDs
Aijou, Chrissy, Vane, Jr Mint, Treasure, Dolly and Barbie the Japanese Chin
Hype! the Sheltie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 09:37 PM
Crowned Member

Did she have a c-section or natural.

If the pups are gaining at this point, they are getting enough. Usually, the pups will lose a little weight in the first 24 hours, and then start gaining.

How big are the puppies?

What is the temperature in the whelping box/room?

Did you allow her to eat the placentas?

What is her temperature?

Is she licking the puppies, to get them urinate and defecate, is she cleaning them?

Is this her first litter?

Are you keeping her area stress-free -- keeping everyone else out of the room where she is, and only touching the puppies to clean the box and weigh them maybe twice a day?

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Crowned Member

Why did you give her the oxytocin? Not right or wrong, just interested in what the reasoning was?

Is she eating ok. boiled chicken and rice with some cooked carrots is good, yogurt, vanilla ice cream -- that is a biggie giver her a little of that. I sometimes give mine potato soup.

How many puppies were there?

Is she eating and drinking?

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 09:44 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

It is perfectly normal for pups to not gain weight, or even lose a bit, within the first 24 hours after birth and not start really gaining until after the first full day. So I wouldn't assume she isn't lactating based on lack of weight gain.

Have you checked her to see if you can express milk from her nipples?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

ok, it is first litter and it was natural, full term. SHe ate 4 of the 5 placentas. She is eating her kibble with cottage cheese and hamberger mixed in. (6 cups of food per day in 2 cup incremints.) SHe is eating great, happy and playful. Great mom, cleaning them and attentive. nothing remarkable has happened. Other dogs haven't been in the room.
Spoke to my vet this afternoon and he gave me the oxytocin. Her temp is 103 but is panting. That is my usually indication that milk is being made, they get hot and pant.
I have been breeding Japanese chin for 10 years and this is my first big dog litter. Never had this problem!
She has milk but NOT FULL. I have to really squeeze to get anything out and the pups are working very hard!

Hype! the Sheltie
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Crowned Member

Give her lots of water. What is the temperature. You may have to cool it down for her a little bit. 103 is not terrible, 104 would be too hot, and dangerous.

GSDs are not like small dogs that need very warm temperatures. They need plenty of water, and they need, it to be a little cooler. If she stops eating I would worry.

This first day the milk is just cholosterum, very important, but does not put much weight on the puppies. They generally lose weight the first day. After the first 24 hours, if they lose weight two days in a row, then supplementing is in order. Hard to say over the internet.

I have had 15 ounce puppies go down to 12/13 ounces on the first day, then they generally start climing. If they are suckling, they will be ok most likely.

How is the litter doing. Is it loud are they crying a lot -- that could be a problem. If they are sleeping and sucking that is probably just fine. If it is too warm, puppies will lay apart. If it is cooler puppy pile. Mom will stay with them if it is a little cooler and they will sleep right on and about her. If the puppies are piling and staying close to mom, and one is apart -- it could be in trouble.

I think you are probably ok, from what I am hearing. Only I am a little worried that she is too warm.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Selzer/....thanks for the advice. pups are piling together and happy. They fuss a little but mostly eat and sleep. Were very vocal last night but seem to be better today.
I will keep an eye out for any changes!

Thanks Chris for the chat! I feel better!

Hype! the Sheltie
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 10:20 PM

well if its like human breast feeding...you can make a nice warm rice bag (put rice in a sock and nuke it till warm, tie the end off) and slide it next to her so it warms them. breastfeeding is wicked painful to start for a human, so I imagine there is some discomfort for say a whole mess of pups.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Happy to report that Tangy is lactating. I wish she was fuller but the pups are gaining and dont seem to mind!

Hype! the Sheltie
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 12:34 AM
Crowned Member

sounds good.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page