It appears I may have a home for Rushie, ??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

It appears I may have a home for Rushie, ???

Rushie is a nice dog. He turned four in January. I had a litter out of him nearly two years ago. I do not plan to breed him again. Rush is the easiest dog in the world to manage. I have taken thim to many sets of training classes, he has passed the CGC three times, been tested in pre-novice and novice obedience, passed the TDI test and all the paperwork and ID came back from that. He works nice off lead and on. He has none of the problems people cite as reasons to neuter, ie marking, mounting, etc.

Since I really do not want to use him for breeding again, I have been using him as my ready indicator. But I can do without this service at this point.

A friend of mine had an individual call her for a dog between six months and two years. He intends to take the dog with him as he inspects nuring homes, so the TDI testing is a benefit. She discussed it with me, and I told her I would sell Rush but he is four. She discussed it with him, and he wants to see him next Thursday.

The dog had his hips and elbows done, we tested for brucellosis and Von Wilbrand's disease two years ago. Last July I tested fecal and for heartworm for the TDI test.

He had gone down in weight to 69 pounds at one point, but I weighed him today and he is up to 77. I would like to see him at 79-82 though.

He was groomed in the beginning of April, but I set him up for grooming next Wednesday, and a vet visit on Tuesday. Since I have not given him heartguard monthly, I want to test him. I also want a general exam. The printed me out his history at the vet as well.

Rushie will have a better life than I can give him with this guy. He will be an only dog. The guy has several acres, a nice run, and will have the dog in the house. Currently the dog is in the house, only some of the time.

Here are my questions:
1. Is there anything else I should gather to hand over.

I have his book, with titles, microchip info, health history, training certificates, pedigree, sire and dam pedigrees and information.

I have ordered a 20 pound bag of dog food for him to take with. What I am feeding is mail order, info on how to get the food is on the bag if he wants to continue to feed it, but he cannot just go to the local store and buy a bag.

I have his leather/deerskin collar and matching lead, I have used a martingale on him on occasion, and a rolled leather collar for the TDI test. Will he think I am nuts if I bring three collars?

I have the TDI paperwork, collar tag -- on his collar, and bandana. I told my friend that he will have to retake the test with the dog as it is a handler/dog team that is certified.

How much of that should go with the dog?

Should I give the original title or a copy of the title, pedigrees, ofa certificates?

He is due for distemper, parvo, and rabies in the beginning of July, since he will be there on Tuesday, should I just go ahead and give him the vaccinations a month early?

Do I need a transfer of ownership from the court house?

I have never sold an adult dog before. This is crazy.

His ball is pretty worn out. I will get him a new kong ball to send with, or is that too much?

I don't even know if this guy is going to take him and am all emotional about it.

Truly this is best for the dog and for me.

What do you send with adult dogs that you sell.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Crowned Member

I love that you are so nervous about selling your 4 year old. It says alot about your passion for your dogs and in my eyes makes you an excellent breeder!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thank you.

I am sorry, he is due the vaccinations on June 4, not in July. Where did July come from? So I am probably going to go ahead with them, as it is only a month, and if he does not take the dog, then I will not have to scarf out another vet bill.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 04:46 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Leave some things for the new pwner to buy. That will make him feel like the dog is his sooner.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 06:44 PM
Crowned Member

WOW!!! Rushie sounds like an awesome boy, I hope his new owner will appreicate all you've done with him!!!

Over the years I've gotten some adults. Most only came with their AKC papers and shot/health records. For some of the older guys I also paid for vet visits to ensure they were healthy, updating shots, spay/neutering before they actually arrived at my house.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 09:38 PM
Crowned Member

I would make copies of all his records, and send those. Hang onto the originals yourself for some period of time. Speaking from a foster home perspective, although I rarely have a dog brought back, the few times they have been brought back people almost never bring back the paperwork that I sent with the dog. Then I have to go around trying to track things down and not everything is recoverable.

I think sending along an older favorite toy is fine, I wouldn't go out and buy a new one. Just let the guy know what his favorite toy has been in your experience and where he will be able to find it so he can replace it if necessary.

Sending along his leash, collar, and training equip is ok. However, if it's something you may use on another dog and would rather not give away with him, you could also let him know what equip he works best in and where he can find it to purchase for himself. I would send along at least his leash/collar. I always buy my adult fosters their own collar, but I usually just use one of my leads so I make sure to let people know to have a lead ready when they come to pick them up the final time.

I would send along his tags, etc.

I'd probably go ahead and update the shots, especially since you want to pull blood for HW testing anyway. Might as well vaccinate and have that ready. I like to send them out totally up to date on everything for awhile.

I don't know anything about a transfer of ownership from a courthouse, that must be an Ohio thing? The only thing you'll need to arrange transfer of is if he's microchipped and the company requires a transfer of ownership form to be filled out (homeagain does).
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Yes, his is Avid, and I have the certificate needed to fill out in case I want to transfer him.

I was considering copying his paperwork for the guy. I may go ahead and keep the copies. If worst comes to worst, I can order new certificates for most stuff.

I have it all in a binder, hard to lose, and you would have to consciously decide to throw it out. So, I will ask for it back if they bring the dog back. But I want to have copies here anyway.

Thanks.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Crowned Member

I got Kenya as a 3.5 year old dog from her breeder (bred her and owned her). She gave me the collar she had on (nylon martingale, just to be sure she wouldn't spook and slip away), a new toy, a bag of food, and her AKC and UKC full registration papers/pedigrees which she signed so I could transfer them to myself. She also did vaccinations the day I picked her up b/c her husband is a vet, and gave me that certificate b/c it included rabies. She also has an AKC height card for agility but I never bothered to get that from the breeder (who I now see every week) because I did CPE agility instead so I registered her for that myself.

I would not have been put off by the breeder holding the registration papers for a period of time.

Like Daphne said, we were so excited I bought so much stuff for her we really didn't need any supplies. I already had new tags engraved, collars, leashes, a crate....everything except her food since I didn't know what she ate so I got that from the breeder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page