Giving advice to people expecting litters - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Giving advice to people expecting litters

Within the last month, we had a couple of people who had never had litters and were asking advice.

Most of the advice was very helpful.

I am concerned that sometimes people give advice here that is taken, but the advice is not from people who have ever whelped or raised a litter or kept a pregnant bitch.

Specifically, I am talking about switching foods to something better or to grain free. But there are other things as well that someone who has never had a litter, may be very well-meaning, but may give advice that could actually be dangerous.

I do not know if we should be a little more clear in general that we are not vets, and that ultimately people need to weigh the advice with the understanding that not everyone giving the advice is considering all the information in light of all of the circumstances. Or should we try to qualify our posts to specifically say that we have never raised a litter, but...., or, "what I do when I have a litter is...."

Babsy
Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Quinn (The Werewolf), Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 07:54 AM
Crowned Member

This will always be a problem via internet...source of information and reliability. I understand your concerns Selzer, just not sure what can be done.
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Crowned Member

I agree. I think qualifying the posts, and having you all (people who have raised a litter be it breeder or rescue person) asking people who have not, nicely of course, what is the basis for that information, and letting the OP know that always, always, always they should take this information and review it in partnership with their vet.

Some very dangerous things can happen when people take this as a replacement for vetting, and they should be using this information in conjunction with a great relationship with their DVM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Crowned Member

The flip side of that is that just because someone breeds a dog, or even multiple dogs, it doesn't make them an expert on dog care, whelping, or raising litters.

The big breeders with tons of experience and people here who can actually vouch for their experience, knowledge, and quality (such as Chris Wild, for example) are people I would personally seek out if I had breeding questions. However, as I'm not a breeder it's only been this once that I've had to seek out that kind of advice (for a litter I'm fostering). Those that breed multiple litters on a regular basis, but don't ever seem to have anyone here that knows them or can vouch for them raise red flags in my mind.

Last edited by Rerun; 04-12-2010 at 08:31 PM.
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Rerun, that is an intersesting point.

Though I know there are several breeders on this site, the only one that I recongnize other people on the site having her dogs are the wildhaus kennel name in the signatures.

Only one or two of my buyers have ever registered.

I would imagine that it might be that some of the people are members already when they purchase their dogs from Chris.

But not everyone who owns a GSD is spending hours and hours on an internet site for GSDs.

I guess I am not here (on this site) to look for puppy buyers. And I am not actively encouraging puppy buyers to find this site or join it. I imagine that for other breeders it is similar. I am much more interested in getting them into puppy classes, and basic obedience.

It does not raise red flags for me. And, you have to be around long enough to notice that people have Wildhaus names in their signatures. These people need information right now. They got puppies coming right now. While everyone who has successfully raised a litter or many litters, may not be an expert, I would certainly take their advice over someone who has a dog and has discovered that their dog does better on a grain free food, or someone who has heard of someone with a similar issue, etc.

Babsy
Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Quinn (The Werewolf), Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 08:02 AM
Crowned Member

Selzer, I took Reruns comments to mean;

breeders who post on this site and won't show their real names, or post their kennels, yet say they are "breeders".
I am aware not many have websites but there are some who say they are breeders and according to their comments, have been doing it forever, yet won't let the public know who they really are?
I would think if they are proud of what they are producing, they wouldn't try to be so secretive about their program. Transparency in rescue is a given, or there is little trust the rescue, it works that way for breeders as well.

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 04-13-2010 at 08:06 AM.
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Elite Member

I'm not a breeder, never will be. I don't know anything about it, it seems like a lot involved.

I was wondering, in the breeder section, is there a bullet point suggestion list for ppl that are having litters, some oops or otherwise? A quick reference for ppl to look at and learn quick?

I know you all aren't vets, but I would hope that if someone was really interested or invested in the litter to be born on already dropped, they'd have somewhere to go w/o all the ... you are an irresponsible person stuff that goes along w/ a post about asking for advice.

If there is already a thread like that.. they perhaps we can just start pointing them too it. ??

Just a suggestion.

Zeva Female GSD 10/02/2009

Waiting at the Bridge:
Buddy ~ GSD/Husky mix 1/00
Sadie ~ GSD 10/05
Lady ~ GSD 5/09
Pepper ~ Beagle 12/09
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 09:11 AM
Crowned Member

You are making assumptions that they are not proud of what they do...you don't know that. They may even be better breeders than Chris Wild or who knows they may not be When people post questions on the internet they have to realize that they can get a response from anyone. If you are breeding then I would think that if you don't have experience you would find someone in real life that could help you People have a right to post...people who are asking the questions need to figure out what makes the most sense
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Doc
Knighted Member

I get over a thousand hits a month on my web-site. It is not listed in this forum for very specific reasons but somebody is finding it. Some breeders are just that - breeders. They breed - they don't always show or title their dogs. They spend their time finding the best bloodlines and genetics to use in their breeding program.

Web-site or not, titles or not, the only real way to know a breeder and their dogs is to visit them. I'm from the old school, where breeders talk you to death about their breeding program and tell you anything you want to know if you are interested in getting a pup.

Long before internet, word of mouth and referals from satisfied customers kept many breeders afloat.
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holland View Post
You are making assumptions that they are not proud of what they do...you don't know that. When people post questions on the internet they have to realize that they can get a response from anyone. If you are breeding then I would think that if you don't have experience you would find someone in real life that could help you People have a right to post...people who are asking the questions need to figure out what makes the most sense
I agree with what you say, and want to make a point of what I meant in my post~ the breeders who don't go by their real names... So we don't know who they really are, by their choice. Why not be transparent?

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page