Shipping a puppy???? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Shipping a puppy????

I'm intrested in a breeder in the midwest. One problem is I'm in PA.
I've never had a puppy shipped and it wouldn't be something I'm confortable with. I know shipping in winter is out of the question.
Anyone have good or bad issues with shipping.

Judy Sheaffer
PAM Alkarahs Havoc of Hollabird CD RAE HT AJP AXP OFP TC
Caramist Ramblin Red Sage UD CGC (bridge)
Reba CD CGC TDI (bridge)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 05:53 PM

Re: Shipping a puppy????

I had the same concerns but we had a very good experience on Delta Airlines. Shipped from Chicago to Philadelphia in the beginning of Jan. I don't think the winter is of concern. Pup was 8 weeks and pranced out of the crate like a champ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 05:53 PM

I have had a GSD pup "10 mos old" shipped from Texas. I found that she was very stressed. Maybe her age ?? as appose to a 10 week old. but I do believe it puts undue stress on them. I have sold pups in Erie, PA, Wis, Kentucky and the very northern UP. I live in SW Mich all these new owners came and pu the pup and said they did VERY well on the trip. It's $350.00 to $450.00 to ship....you can drive along ways for that $ I'd go get my pup !

"Bruno"
"Bela"
"Sophia"
Sandhillgermanshepherds.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Knighted Member

I had my puppy shipped form Michigin to Texas last May. Everything went smoothly. When I picked her up at the airport she was giving the unloading guys tude form her kennel LOL. She had not pottied in her kennel at all. She was thirsty when I took her out, so make sure you bring a leash...water and bowl....and a collar. She had no issues with it whatsoever. I would have to say it was a good experience!

~Alison

Shadow-10 year old GSD (03-16-99)
Duchess-4 year old GSD (11/04)
Gianna vom Wildhaus-GSD (3-2-09)
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Knighted Member

Ike flew in from Belgium on Lufthansa and he came through just fine. A little stinky (pee and poop - he told me it was a long flight ...) but otherwise no problem. He was a little wild when I first let him out but that's about it.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 05:58 PM

8 weeks lilysmom? i didn't think you were to ship until they were at least 10 weeks...? My dog did come in on Delta also, and they do a very nice job in careing for the dog...food water etc so I was told. I also know they will not ship if the temp will be 20 degrees or less

"Bruno"
"Bela"
"Sophia"
Sandhillgermanshepherds.com
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 06:00 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

If a puppy is of sound temperament and solid nerve, they will deal with shipping without problem. I've had two puppies shipped to me, one at 9 weeks, the other at 6 months. Continental Airlines - very good experience. They ship winter/summer. Dogs are kept in climate controlled waiting areas, trucked out to the A/C in heated/air conditioned vans, and the cargo areas where they are kept is heated and pressurized.

Loooong flight! From Michigan to Texas (for a connecting flight) then to British Columbia, Canada. Both pups arrived in great shape, happy to see people and wanting to interact, eat and drink right away.

Shipping the 9 week old was about 200$. It goes by weight, so the older pups in bigger kennels cost more.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 06:00 PM

No.. 8 weeks is OK, and she did just fine

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: CastlemaidIf a puppy is of sound temperament and solid nerve, they will deal with shipping without problem. I've had two puppies shipped to me, one at 9 weeks, the other at 6 months. Continental Airlines - very good experience. They ship winter/summer. Dogs are kept in climate controlled waiting areas, trucked out to the A/C in heated/air conditioned vans, and the cargo areas where they are kept is heated and pressurized.

Loooong flight! From Michigan to Texas (for a connecting flight) then to British Columbia, Canada. Both pups arrived in great shape, happy to see people and wanting to interact, eat and drink right away.

Shipping the 9 week old was about 200$. It goes by weight, so the older pups in bigger kennels cost more.
OMG you mean to tell me that briefly there was another Wildhaus pup in Texas...and no one bothered to tell me so I could Hyjack him?!?!?!?!

~Alison

Shadow-10 year old GSD (03-16-99)
Duchess-4 year old GSD (11/04)
Gianna vom Wildhaus-GSD (3-2-09)
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 06:06 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted By: gsdheelerI know shipping in winter is out of the question.
Halo was shipped from Connecticut to California on January 18th (wow, almost a year ago!). She was 10 weeks old, and it was 10 below zero the day she flew out on Continental.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page