puppy pricing - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

puppy pricing

Ok, got to ask, How do you determin the price of a puppy? How can some one price a 4 week old pup at say $3000.00 or $2500.00 or $1000.00 and even $5000.00+ ?

"Bruno"
"Bela"
"Sophia"
Sandhillgermanshepherds.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Re: puppy pricing

A lot has to do with the price of the stud fee, expenses incurred for the breeding and rearing of the litter and also the current market value.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Master Member

as i always said with horses~its amazing what people will pay...you can put whatever price you want on an animal, doesnt mean its worth it, even if it has great breeding...your chances are better i guess but i strongly believe it has a lot to do with the upbringing and training
i know a lot of extremely brillant people....but their kids arent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Banned

i don't understand pricing. i was willing to spend
$3,500.00. i found a puppy with a strong pedigree. he comes
from 5 or 6 generations of dogs that have their
SchH 1, 2 or 3. i paid $1,800.00 for my pup.

i don't understand the pricing of any breed. you see the pricing
issue with any breed.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: heritageOk, got to ask, How do you determin the price of a puppy? How can some one price a 4 week old pup at say $3000.00 or $2500.00 or $1000.00 and even $5000.00+ ?
post #5 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Banned

how much do the children cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted By: dresdenas i always said with horses~its amazing what people will pay...you can put whatever price you want on an animal, doesnt mean its worth it, even if it has great breeding...your chances are better i guess but i strongly believe it has a lot to do with the upbringing and training
i know a lot of extremely brillant people....but their kids arent
post #6 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

thanks, just what I expected to here! no ryme or reason,

"Bruno"
"Bela"
"Sophia"
post #7 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Knighted Member

I think the more titles the dogs has the more it cost the breeder to invest in getting all those titles so they pass the cost onto the puppies they produce ? Lots of titles what ever they may be are impressive and I supposed costly to achieve, time spent and effort. Once the dog has all those titles everyone wants their puppies and they become in demand and I suppose some people get greedy thus the extra high costs.

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Kasey, GSD Shelter 8/96-12/07 at the Bridge
Patches, CS Shelter 4/93-4/05 at the Bridge
Keisha, GSD 12/87-10/96 at the Bridge
Tarsha, GSD my sweet 16 BD at the Bridge
post #8 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

yeah Doggiedad, I have a little female I'm about to breed this spring. She comes from "world class SchH breeding" her entire pedigree is SchH 3, world Champions etc....her grandfather due to shear numbers of champion off spring is rated #1 breeding stud in the world "so its claimed" so I guess I should be selling her pups at 3, 4 $5000.00 ???? I don't think so. I think you did well at $1800.00.

"Bruno"
"Bela"
"Sophia"
post #9 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

yes Heidi, I agree with all that ! people trying to recoop there $. Thats fine I guess....but I thought we were breeding for the love of the breed, not the $$$ ? I know its expencive to run around and get these tiltes, but it's like putting new windows in a house to sell it...your not going to get that window $ back I'm more concern with finding a good home for my pups than makeing a few extra $ people are funny though !

"Bruno"
"Bela"
"Sophia"
post #10 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 12:00 PM
EJQ
Knighted Member

LONG but I hope this helps to answer your concerns.
Most times the cost of the puppies has already been determined by the breeder.
So this is one of those ďit dependsĒ questions. Iíll try to list some of the things that a breeder might consider when pricing their puppies. Not in any logical sequence.
Stud Dog (whether owned by breeder or outside breeding): Blood/temperament/training/type of and level of accomplishment/titles/confirmation/ color/coat etc.
Stud fee: the owner of the stud dog will consider all of the above when setting the stud fee.
Bitch: Blood/temperament/training/type of and level of accomplishment/titles/confirmation/ color/coat etc.
Cost of pre-breeding/pre natal Ė things like vet checks, progesterone tests, diet, cost of transportation to and from breeder and vet etc.
Documentation of previous litters assuming the bitch has had a previous litter.
Costs related to whelping.
Post whelping costs: in the ten weeks prior to the puppies going to their new home (assuming all puppies are healthy and well). Diet for the mother, multiple wormings for the babies, food for the babies, shots for the babies, at least two vet checks for mom & babies. Complimentary baby food, stainless steel bowl, collars, leashes (I canít expect a person spending $2000.00 for a puppy to go out and buy their first puppy supplies).
Health guarantee, sale contract. Cost of advertising (in any).
Itís never ending!! EVERY conscientious breeder will spend far more money and TIME than they will ever get back putting quality puppies on the ground. The conscientious breeder is there to assure the betterment of the breed. Iím sure I have left out a bunch of stuff so please add to my comments where you can.
If you are considering a breeder that does not answer all of your questions & concerns, doesn't spend time with you, doesn't invite you to see the puppies and parents and do all of the things I have mentioned, turn around and RUN!
Please forgive typos or other mistakes if you find any!

ARABELLE vom Garringer CGC, TDI

BRYNNA vom Garringer AKC STAR PUPPY, CGC, TDI (crossed over February 15, 2018)
AHREN vom Garringer (crossed over December 30, 2011)
B'ELANNA vom FlaglerHaus CGC, SAR (crossed over March 4, 2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page