Question for breeders - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Question for breeders

On another forum, I got into a slightly heated conversation with some people on placing their dogs with military families. The ones I spoke with pretty much stated they would never place their dogs with anyone in the military because they feel their dogs would have a higher chance of ending up in a shelter. I just wanted to know what your opinions on this were. It really upset me because I am in the military and I have my Zappa who will be 9 on Sunday. It is going on 9 years of him being with me in February. It upset me because people were being so biased to military personnel like I would get a dog and dump it first chance I got.

SBD Posejpal's Leyna, HCTs 6/16/2010
SBD Posejpal's Hades, 5/9/12

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Re: Question for breeders

I have not faced this situation yet. I would probably decide based on the individual just like I would any home.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 08:03 PM
EJQ
Knighted Member

One of the puppies from our June '09 litter went to live with a military officer and his wife. I screened them as I would have any other prospective owner of one of my puppies. The fact that they were military didn't influence me in a negative way.

ARABELLE vom Garringer CGC, TDI

BRYNNA vom Garringer AKC STAR PUPPY, CGC, TDI (crossed over February 15, 2018)
AHREN vom Garringer (crossed over December 30, 2011)
B'ELANNA vom FlaglerHaus CGC, SAR (crossed over March 4, 2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

I can't speak for Angela but one of Jethro's brothers lives with a family in the military.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

OK, I was wondering. Isn't the sole purpose of screening the potential buyer so you know your pup goes to a good home? These are not breeders I was personally looking at, but I still asked them about the fact that I have had Zappa for almost 9 years, except for issues beyond my control he is in good health, has gone through extensive training, as well as every house I have moved to he has been right there with me. I even brought up the point that when I had to deploy as a single mom, not only did I place my child with my family I found a wonderful place for Zappa to go while I was gone. It never once crossed my mind to get rid of him. I made arrangements for him and he was well taken care of at a great boarding kennel on alot of land directly across the street from his then-vet's home (I was stationed at Ft Benning at the time). One of the people in the discussion said she MAY place a dog with military as long as they were a higher ranking member. That really shocked me.

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Banned

I can see the point of being careful with a military family but other than overseas assignment you would have the same issues.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

This wasn't being careful. It was a flat out No for military.

At the rainbow bridge:
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Crowned Member

There are alot of people that have mobile jobs, not just the active duty military. My career field is mobile, we move every 3 or 4 years and yes we deploy too.

Shutting out a potential home for a puppy based on mobility and deployment is plain and simple discrimination. I have moved 3 GSD's and 4 cats down the highway and cross the country more times than I can count. We have not faced an overseas move but that is always possible as well and it would be hard but we would handle it.

Kendra when I was shoppping for Kayos many years ago I had a breeder in Kentucky tell me the same thing, she would never sell me a dog based on my job. She was the only breeder that said that of the many I spoke to.

The breeder I ended up buying Kayos from in Oklahoma was and still is very supportive of the military, I believe her husband served as an Army nurse.

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 09:39 AM
Crowned Member

I think though that there are a really high number of dogs turned in at/near military bases, by military personnel. I know it has been discussed in the rescue section a few times. So like Lisa said, you screen on the individual and when you see things like military you pick at it to make sure that this is not someone who gets a dog and then drops the dog at every new place they are stationed.

Sometimes though people get burned enough times with a certain type of person that they just won't deal with it any more. That may have happened with this breeder and I would rather see a breeder who maybe errs too strongly in that direction, than the other. Give them credit for caring so much about their puppies that they may be willing to pass by a good home out of fear of making a mistake.

The issue of finding housing to accept dogs is why rescues ask to see a letter from the landlord saying that dogs are okay, but if the person moves...what then? So you are really screening for traits within the person of loyalty, commitment, and tenacity. And you like to think you can perceive all of that, but it's difficult.

On the other hand there are people who think every doctor, cop or military placement is golden, and eeeeeee-yikes on that!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 09:57 AM
Crowned Member

I agree it is on a case by case basis, but we do have a very high abandon/rescue issue in the base near us.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page