Problems with breeding (non-GSD) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to GranvilleGSD
Problems with breeding (non-GSD)

My co-worker has Shelties and her one female seems to be having difficulties with carrying a pregnancy. She bred her in the spring this year, she was confirmed pregnant around 4-5 weeks, then lost the pregnancy. She was bred again this fall, got pregnant was due middle to end of this week, and had her puppies over the weekend. She had 5, 2 died, 2 are very small and doing poorly, and 1 is normal and doing well. This is her first litter, she's almost 3 years old, has OFA's and other health tests recommended for Shelties, titled, etc.

Do you think it was just bad luck, or do you think there could be a problem with the girl?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 11:45 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Problems with breeding (non-GSD)

Find a reproduction vet and have progesterone pulled throughout pregnancy. Had a friend whose dog was confirmed, but later lost the pregnancy. Did a progesterone test and numbers where way off where they were supposed to be. Next breeding, started supplement progesterone daily (need gloves to give so you don't come in contact with it) from the females 2nd or 3rd week until she whelped. She did have a successful litter with doing this. They spayed her after that.

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

There is also the question: should a female that has difficulties carrying a pregnancy be helped?

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 12:14 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted By: lhczthThere is also the question: should a female that has difficulties carrying a pregnancy be helped?
My thoughts exactly.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

I have to say I agree with Lisa and Daphne here.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to GranvilleGSD

I agree too, I hope she decides not to breed this girl again. If it were my girl I certainly wouldn't. I talked to her on the phone yesterday, since she's had to take off work all week and I've been working for her. She said the mother has NO interest in the puppies, and she's tube feeding the 2 smaller pups. The vet thinks they were born a week early.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Crowned Member

That sounds to me like she needs to spay the dog and not breed her.If she can't have healthy ones, and that maybe the reason she has no interest, than she should be left as a family dog.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page