Finding the right female - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Finding the right female

I'm in Utah. My male has a BH, excellent hips (OFA) and of course, AKC registration. And a great disposition. He's three now, and I would like to get at least Sch I on him soon, but I also don't want to miss his prime age to breed. I've been using KSL to find females in my area. Any ideas on what else I could do to connect with breeders looking for studs for their females?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 01:42 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Finding the right female

Have you thought objectively about what your male can bring to the breed to improve it?

What are your goals as a breeder? Why do you want to breed him?

You might think about these things (and maybe you have already) before breeding. Also take a look at the rescue section and see all the nice GSD's that are in need of homes. Before you breed think about what you would do if one of the pups your boy sired was dumped like that.

Breeding is a huge responsibility and not one that I am interested in. I thought I was once too, but I did a lot of homework and realized my dog was not worthy of being bred so I did the responsible thing and spayed her. I think my vet for taking the time to gently recommend that I do a lot of homework and research into this breed before I choose to bring more puppies into the world.

I am not commenting on your dog or your intelligence as I don't know you. Just asking you to make sure you are fully committed to improving the breed before you jump in.

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 07:34 AM
dOg
Elite Member

Sounds to me like you have done much of what needs to be done, except for finish titling... which, can take a long time...but is it taking time because he ain't all that or because you are or your club is not devoting enough attention to it. Answer that for your self and move on. You might advertise him on the pedigree database after you register him on it...that would likely help find him some mate, but again, ask yourself, are you going to be discerning about which female he hooks up with and why, or would any flattering tail flagging do?

Once you register his pedigree on <span style="color: #3333FF">peddb</span> , let us see it, and some pics of him in a stack offered in "critique my dog" spirit.

It's hard to be objective about your own. He might be the next RinTinTin, or not...nobody wants to see him not be bred if he is,
but if he isn't, you must consider his faults, the ones that can be seen and those that can't...which means knowing more about his littermates and other progeny of his parents. OFA isn't the only worry when making such a huge decision, and pride shouldn't really have any say in the matter.

AKC registration means very little, it's just expensive paper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 07:46 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Don't think age is an issue, the boys can be breed for years!

Once you start trialing and going to shows, talking to others with GSD's and them seeing you, maybe bragging on your webpage... then people with bitches will start contacting you and you can help decide if she's appropriate or not.

Whether owning the male or female, once you start having puppies their is a level of responsiblity involved, so you want to make sure the pups are healthy, get good homes and know they would be living at your house before going to a shelter..

Since there are more than enough great GSD's out there already (and more than enough of them are in shelters ) you are doing the right thing to become a responsible breeder with a dog that can contribute to the breed and help make it smarter, healthier, whatever. Or just support breeders who are doing the same (like me, I support and don't breed )

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Crowned Member

You have many years of breeding left. Age isn't really a factor.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 08:35 AM
Crowned Member

The reality is that good show and even good working line studs are a dime a dozen. Without proving himself on the SchH field, your dog likely will not even attract owners of really good quality bitches. When good breeders are looking for studs, if your dog has what it takes they will find you. Breeding is not about age or the owner's intentions it is about having a top quality dog that has proven himself in training, work and competition.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your comments. I totally agree that breeding is a big responsibility, and that there are a lot of dogs in need of a home out there as it is. I want to breed my dog because I think he has the qualities I really admire in the breed - he is protective but not aggressive, loves working, has a high pray drive, can be a great family dog but also run with me on trails and I know I am safe. My idea of a German Shepherd is not a dog that spends most of the day in a crate and comes out for 30 minutes to do some Schutzhund work, no matter how great he is at bite work or tracking. My Germans Shepherd is supposed to be my companion wherever I go, which means I expect him to follow my commands, protect me, but also behave around other dogs and people. I agree that having Schutzhund titles is an asset, and I want to continue, but at the moment my own education is a priority. That's why I stopped training him. I hope to resume in the spring.

Sure, I would love some objective feedback. Our website:

http://www.germanshepherd-hanza.com

Thanks again.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

You're putting together a nice page to try to attract females for him to stud. However you might want to rethink your approach.

I can guarantee you that serious breeders with high quality breeding bitches, some who may have possibly been interested otherwise based on the solid genetics he can bring to the table, are going to pass right on by when they see statements like "he can run 15 miles next to a mountain bike and still be up for a good hump."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 10:03 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

I would search around the board for info on Fero. I notice that your dog is linebred on him. There are good and bad points to any dog, but as breeders we have to know what those are.

Also, you need more health clearances. The excellent hips are great, but not near enough. You also need to do elbows, heart, thyroid, eyes, von Willibrands, etc., before he is bred.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 11:36 PM

I think the above responses to your question are all valid points. However, I do have one thing I'd like to add. You mention your dog has "pray" drive. Praying is what you do in church. "Prey" is what predators pursue. Your dog has prey drive. Just FYI.

~Emily~

Bella — 4 year old black Lab mix
Jaga — 4 year old GSD, CGC, TDI
Hollandia vom Landholz (Holly) — 2 year old GSD, CGC, NNDDA SAR (land cadaver)
Oliver — crazy cat
Jake — ball python
and the fishies

Kodak, 3 year old Chihuahua/terrier mix, RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page