Horrible outcome - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Horrible outcome

A friend had a litter of 7 pups, she owned the mom and the dad. Both dogs were house dogs and when the pups were 3.5 weeks old the dad got into the room they were in while mom was in the back having a pee and he killed 5 and seriously injured the other 2. Has anyone heard of this happening? He went through 3 closed doors, how he openned them they don't know. I am sick with grief for my friend and for these babies. I don't think he should ever be in close proximity to small animals again, and especially should never be bred again. She has been told it happens and she can use him again and just keep him further separated and controlled. Could he turn on other small animals? Older pups? small children? Could this be a temperment fault he could pass on?

It is unclear what he did, they were crushed and punctured. My friend feels he may have simply stepped on them by accident. I feel he bit them hard enough to kill them. It was over in less than 5 min while Mom was in the yard with the owner. One of the living ones has a punctured lung, the other just severe bruising.

I can't help looking differently at my own males and wondering if they could do such a thing, not that I breed so they will never be in this circumstance. I have in the past had a few litters of Belgians and never had this issue and yes the males, not necessarily sires of those litters did interact from a young age puppy to see them and never aggression shown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 09:23 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Horrible outcome

It's natural in the animal kingdom for the males to kill the young. Lions do it all the time. They are removing future competition.

If there were puncture wounds the pups were not JUST stepped on. But the male could have been reacting to the noise the pups made and tried to play with them like toys.

I question the ability of the male to 'got through three closed doors' without leaving traces of how he did it.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 09:50 AM
Crowned Member

It is natural for German Shepherds to have prey drive, and these puppies were just prey or toy for the dog. I don't buy the story either: the dog after three weeks, decided to "get through three closed doors", dogs don't teleport themselves. Somebody left doors open.

Your friend should not be breeding, it does not sound that she has much knowledge or the ability to properly care for the babies (keep them safe). And there are too many German Shepherds dying in shelters anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 09:59 AM
Crowned Member

Whatever the issue or however the male got in with the puppies is probably never going to be known. So sorry for the lost babies and for mom dog who is probably very grief stricken.

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 10:17 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: RebelGSD I don't buy the story either: the dog after three weeks, decided to "get through three closed doors", dogs don't teleport themselves. Somebody left doors open.
I don't have any input on the killing of the puppies, but my old male Titan could open doors. He would grab the knobs and if they were locked he would crush them in frustration. The doors without locks only had minor scratches on the knobs. He was very determined so it doesn't surprise me that the male could get to the puppies.

Dawn S

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting HOLY S%*T what a ride!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 10:46 AM
Crowned Member

I had such dogs too, however, we know that these dogs do it and it is not a big surprise when it happens.
In addition, they don't close doors behind themselves, after opening them, so it is obvious what they did and how.

If someone has a dog that can opend doors and turn doorknobs, it is the responsibility of the owner to take appropriate precautions to keep the dog and the litter safe.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I have 2 dogs that open doors but I thought Meisha taught Ty but since that male had never done it before I didn't think he could learn on his own. We have no doors they can't open in my house, my husband even put new handles on he thought they couldn't open and they immediately could, so we must lock any we don't want open, or just let them in.

It is the worry he might now kill my small dog, Muffin, that has me worried, we have visited there often and I never worried, but kept close watch, but now am not so sure. For sure I will meet her for walks only with my shepherds on leash as I have done recently, as he has become more aggressive.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 11:03 AM
Crowned Member

I suggest that you leave Muffin home if you visit there, no need to take unnecessary risks. If he is showing signs of dog aggression, you might want to find other company for your shepherds too. And advise your friend about training.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 11:12 AM
Knighted Member

This is awful.
But I do agree, this woman should NOT be breeding puppies. If she cant keep the babies safe. (no offence)
How heartbreaking.

Kilo- GSD
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Crowned Member

if he is becoming more aggressive period, then that is even more cause for worry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page