Whelping Diary Spin off.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 133 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Whelping Diary Spin off....

Didn't want to hijack Lauri's thread, but we've got a bit of an odd case going on right now and figured I'd post it as it might help some others, or at least be of interest.

Raven is due to whelp 8-9 pups on Saturday.

I got a frantic call from Tim while I was at work this afternoon telling me she'd just delivered a pup. She showed NO signs of impending labor this morning.. temp was normal, ate normal, no nesting, them BAM! here's a pup around 2pm

Pup is a bit on the small side, but not small enough to worry. Is active and eating well.

She has shown no more signs of labor since delivering that pup, and it's now been more than 4hrs. She's been on walks, pottied, ate dinner, ate some yogurt. Still nothing. Tim just ran out to snag some vanilla ice cream. We'd normally have it on hand, but figured we had a couple days yet (were going to go grocery shopping tonight actually). So if that and another walk doesn't get things going we'll be giving her a shot of oxytocin.

She is not at all in any form of distress. But also not showing any signs of labor. She's acting perfectly normal and is actually trying to get us to play. And we know there are more pups in there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 133 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Re: Whelping Diary Spin off....

Wanted to add, if any other breeders want to chime in with some ideas or past experience with this sort of situation, we'd appreciate it. We're sort of stumped. Never had a bitch start, deliver a pup, and then go back to acting like she'll wait until her due date to finish up.

Though maybe she's just holding off until later so she can have the rest after midnight as a birthday present for mommy......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 133 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Crowned Member

This is the pup from the first visit with Tobi! Aww, I am on the edge of my seat, right along with you!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 133 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Master Member

I just want to say Congratulations and how exciting!

~Stephanie

Alexa (04/25/09)

Princess (GSD/Pit Rescue) October 1996-September 2004

post #5 of 133 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Considering her progesterone when we did the first breeding, they're most likely ALL from the first date with Tobi... so she needs to get a move on!

post #6 of 133 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

She will just wait until you and Tim are ready to give up and go to bed..... then she will go into her normal labor and give you the rest on your Birthday!

I have not heard of anything like this happening before.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #7 of 133 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Doubleminttwin

The stress is not good but I just wanted to say congrats on your first puppy! I hope everything turns out right, I think she just wants to keep you on your toes hehe. I looked at your website and your dogs are gorgeous btw! Sorry I can't be more helpful!

*~Jen~*
“Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.” Dr. Seuss

Baya 6/29/09

Ask me about: Leopard Geckos
post #8 of 133 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Crowned Member

Lynn <--- jumping up and down in excitment.

Dante <--- Looking at Mom like she's lost her mind.

Sending good energy for a safe and healthy whelping Chris, Tim & Ray, Ray.

~Lynn~
Dante v. Wildhaus, SchH 3 (HOT)
Merlin v. Vereinigte Stolz, BH (HOT)
Laos v. Hünxer Wald
post #9 of 133 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Crowned Member

Maybe a call to the vet to see what he/she says is in order?
Hope all ends well.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #10 of 133 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Knighted Member

Chris, I am certainly not trying to worry you. Lord knows you have had enough on your plate. But, when Shadow had her second litter (before I knew what breeding responsibly was all about), she had a really long delay, about 6 hours between the 6th and 7th pup...and then had pup #8 about 6 hours after that. Xray had only shown 6 pups. Anywho, pups were healthy and doing well. But, Shadow developed an infection (her discharge got all green and smelly) and it moved into her milk as well. By day three I was hand raising the 3 remaining pups as the other 5 did not survive. I think this could have been avoided had she not had so long between pups. But we thought she was done at 6, so we did not stay on top of it. Our mistake, and lesson learned the hard way. I know you won't let that happen, but I jsut wanted you to be aware of what could.

Hoepfully things will pick up for Raven soon and pups 2-8 can join the pack!

~Alison

Shadow-10 year old GSD (03-16-99)
Duchess-4 year old GSD (11/04)
Gianna vom Wildhaus-GSD (3-2-09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page