Breeders, what do you wean pups on, what food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Breeders, what do you wean pups on, what food

do you send home with buyers to feed the pups?

Last year's litter did fine with the Canidae. This litter got mushy, then runny poop. I took a poo sample to the vet and gave them Albon. The vet came up empty. I fed them chicken and rice and firmed up the poo. Then I started introducing the Canidae again very slowly. I have runny poop again.

I am a bit disgusted and am considering changing once this litter is gone. So what do you wean puppies to?

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Re: Breeders, what do you wean pups on, what food

In previous years we weaned onto the kibble we were feeding (Canidae) soaked in milk replacer to a mushy gruel like consistency. We'd then send them home with some of that kibble if the new owners didn't already have some (in most cases they did).

We stopped feeding Canidae a couple years ago and moved our dogs to a grain free kibble, then to half grain free kibble/half raw, then to full raw.

With our last litter we weaned them onto kibble mush using Orijen and then started incorporating some raw so by the time they left they were eating mostly raw but still had the occasional Orijen meal to keep them acclimated to kibble in case the new owners wanted to feed it

I think our upcoming litter will be weaned straight onto ground raw, though we'll probably still do the occasional meal of kibble (will be Orijen again) for the reasons stated above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 11:12 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I wean to ground raw, but they are eating whole pieces by the time they leave. The few puppy buyers that I have that feed kibble feed an excellent grain free kibble and have not had any issues switching. The only kibble I keep around is to ship puppies. Hard to ship with a package of raw attached to the crate. LOL

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Crowned Member

Not a breeder but my boy was weaned on goat's milk, kibble, and some canned I believe. We visited at 4-5 weeks and they had just tried some goat's milk and their first chewy treat. He was eating solid Nature's Variety kibble when I got him. The breeder sells a variety of foods at cost (EVO, Nature's Variety, Fromm, California Natural) so I bought a small bag of the NV he was on and a few cans since she recommended giving Panacur and it's a powder. After his NV ran out I switched over to the kibble I use (Cal Nat). His poo was great as a puppy. My other dogs ate Canidae before I got Nikon but he's never had it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Doc
Knighted Member

I start with baby rice cereal, goat's milk, and warm water. After a few days I start replacing the rice cereal and adding powdered kibble - I used Orijen LBP. Each day I added more powder kibble and less rice cereal. Stay with the goat's milk mush mixture until you have eliminated the baby rice cereal and are using all powder kibble. Then start making the kibble a little more course and adding it with goat's milk and water. Slowly reduce the Milk and water and keep adding more course kibble until eventually it is all dry kibble. I wean to kibble because many buyers are anti-raw.

Sometimes around 4 weeks I notice runny poos - usually around weaning time. I think it is a very stressful time in a pups life and they are more susceptible to coccidia and giardia. So on the 4th week worming I use Panacur liquid for the worming/giardia and may include Albon if their poo stays runny. You may consider treating all the pups as a preventative.

I have great results on the Orijen LBP. Most other premium kibble resulted in runny poos. Just make the transition painstakingly slow. Some will wean over a few days - I go for 7 to 10 days. If the pups get the runs because of a tummy issue, it is extremely hard to get under control quickly. I tell buyers no "treats" until the pup is 4 months old. If they feel a need to reward the pup with food, use the kibble you are feeding them or boiled chicken.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Elite Member

Mine are weaned onto ground raw, usually starting with Green Tripe.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Crowned Member

Same as Chris for the litters in Europe.

We will be doing straight raw on the litters here. Excellent sources for RAW feeding, including tripe. I do not like the pre-made stuff.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Crowned Member

I'm not a breeder but my puppy was weaned onto raw.

My breeder had a bag of Origen for each of the puppies if the new owner wasn't "into" raw.

I only fed about 1/4 of the bag then switched to Wellness and fed maybe three cups of that, then went straight to raw.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Crowned Member

The Crested puppies will be weaned to raw and new owners HIGHLY encouraged to feed it! The stud owner gets a puppy and she already feeds raw!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page