raccoon baiting - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

raccoon baiting

So an article in the paper says they will be dropping raccoon bates in our country in September.

My pups will be six weeks old on Sunday. I called the number to get more info. I also have a dog that gets colitis.

Anyway, the state hotline sent me to the locals who tried to send me to the state again. But instead they called the state and told me they really do not know when they will be baiting in my area. They pin pointed it between this Sunday and Thursday.

They say the stuff isn't poisonous, but it could cause gastro intestinal upset to the colitis dog, and well, they did not want to say much about the puppies. The puppies can take themselves in and out now. Sunday I will be gone for a large part of the day -- unavoidable. The rest of the week I should be at least there.

The puppy pen is right up against the house, so I cannot imagine them dropping the bait into it. But I cannot be sure of that.

I guess maybe this is more just a rant, they can tell you every trick or treat time period in the county but they cannot tell you when they will drop poison out of the sky at you.

The fellow said that he would not call it poison, but a lot of dogs have trouble with the rabies vaccine. I wouldn't feed it to six week old pups.

ERrrrgGH!

The very idea of keeping this group inside for four days is downright scarey.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Crowned Member

Re: raccoon baiting

Can you fashion a roof for the puppy pen?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: pupresqCan you fashion a roof for the puppy pen?
Even just a tarp.

If not, I'd suffer through having them indoors for 4 days rather than risk them getting hold of any of the bait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I have a sun screen over part of it. The thing is that it only has two sides, the house is the other two sides. If it rains bad the tarp could do damage to the house, given I can get up on a ladder and put eyelets into the wood to hook the tarp onto it.

I have to think up something quick.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I could put the four foot x-pen around the doggy door and cut down their area and put a lid on that I suppose. Give them a four by eight area maybe. The mind is working but it is SLOW.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Quote: The fellow said that he would not call it poison
Is this a rabies vaccine bait or something different? obviously they know who they purchased the bait from & who the manufacturer is - a quick call to the latter should give you an idea what is in the bait & what steps you would need to take should your pups be exposed ... if necessary, get your vet involved & ask him/her to call for you.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Knighted Member

Family I have in OH said they drop rabies vaccine blocks for raccoons, feral cats and stray dogs. Thought I guess it's mainly for the coons... I would badger them about it, personally, after your pups are safe. They really have no right to be dropping it in areas of personal property where small pups and dogs with health issues can get it... JMO. I get ticked every time they spray for bugs around here, they've killed off most of the beautiful weaver spiders we had, yet the 'skeeters are everywhere.

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page