Question for breeders - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Question for breeders

How important is it for you to do OFA prelims for a puppy you bought if it has not been done yet? You may plan on training/trialing the pup in the future. The pup may be 7 months old. Would you do prelims? Why or why not?
Thanks,
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Question for breeders

So did the "breeder" buy the pup as a baby or at 7 months?

(Reason I asked for clarification is that a lot of breeders I know, wouldnt' have bought a 7 months old that hadn't been xrayed yet.)

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 11:28 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, prelims on hips and elbows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 11:30 PM
Crowned Member

Not a breeder but a puppy owner(6 mos). I had his prelims done a couple of weeks ago.
#1 For the breeder, benefits the program to know as soon as possible
#2 because I am doing SchH w/ the pup, I wanted to know so I didn't do any damage just in case there were questionable results. #3 if there was a problem, it is best to start w/ supplemental support asap.
It is important to have the vet doing the prelims know what they are doing, otherwise it will be a waste of time and $$.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 11:54 PM
Crowned Member

I wait on my pups until they are two. I am not doing schutzhund but will get them started learning agility equipment etc.

I guess if I have a dog, I am going to work with it to learn its character anyway. Deciding whether the dog is breedworthy is a lot more about the journey and a lot less about the results. Genetic testing is a piece of the puzzle, but as I would not trust early results, I do not waste the money on them.

If the pup fails at two, well then I still have a pet that needs the same care and that I will still show in performance events. So I guess I am not putting as much emphasis in finding out early. At two, earlier if there are symptoms, I can find out about his and make adjustments as to what I intend to do performance wise with the dog.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 12:13 AM
Crowned Member

I did not get my pups done to see if he was breedworthy. It was for his protection, and if I wasn't doing SchH or any type of sport, I would still want to know early what his hips/elbows look like to be proactive. I had a scare w/ Onyx at 6 mos(misdiagnosed HD) so if I can see what may be early on, it is not a waste of money, IMO.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

A breeder I know had this pup from a young age. But instead of sending the x rays to OFA, her vet, who used to work for the OFA apparently said they were good at 7 months. At 2 yrs. the left hip was OFAed and was unilateral mild. Would you trust one local vet to read and pass judgement on either set of x rays?
Paul
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Hips can change between 7 months and 2 years. They can loosen and they can tighten (have seen both).

I do not send my prelims into OFA. I trust my vet.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

We always do prelims around 6-8 months.
From a breeding standpoint, we need to know how things are looking and that's important info to have before considering breeding the dam again. I don't want to breed a dog again without that info on her hip production, and don't want to necessarily wait 2-3 years between litters to allow her offspring to get their official OFAs either.
Since we do SchH with our dogs, it's also important to know that the joints are ok so that the dog will be physically capable of doing the work, and that doing the work won't harm the dog.
The earlier problems are identified, the more treatment and management options available.
If we kept back a pup to grow out for future SchH and breeding, I do like to have an idea earlier rather than later if the dog will be suitable for that. If not, the dog would be rehomed and that is easier done on a younger dog than an older one.

We don't send prelims to OFA. Between us and our vet we're quite capable of reading the x-rays ourselves for those purposes.

Yes, x-rays can change between prelims and adulthood. Though statistically it is more uncommon than common. Prelims will tell you if there are major problems though. If prelims look really, really good, chances of them failing at 2 are pretty slim. If they look really, really bad, chances of them improving and passing at 2 are pretty well nill. They might not provide much insight as to if the dog will go Fair or Mild at 2, but they will show if the joints hold promise or if there is a major issue that should be addressed sooner rather than later.

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Doc
Knighted Member

Like Chris, I prelim every pup I plan to keep in my breeding program. I do not send the prelim x-rays to OFA. With practice and experience, as a breeder you know what to look for on/in the x-rays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page