Hey Guys! I'm in a strange place for me! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Hey Guys! I'm in a strange place for me!

As a vet tech, working for a vet who has many breeders in their practice, I'm finding myself in an odd place. I generally see the dogs that come in for progesterone readings, and then I don't see them again until a week before they whelp. (When we do an exam or an xray)
I have delievered more pups by C- section (and natural birth) in the office than I can count. Pups are my thing!
But here is my issue.
I have Fenna, who is now a breed dog for Fidelco. She was bred at the end of July. She should be about 4 weeks along in her preg. now.
Should I be seeing anything different in her? She is a very thin dog normally, and I'm not really noticing any differance in her body. She has been finicky about her food (Abaday raw) but will try to kill Mr. Frodo over his kibble. (Behavior change) A little more clingy at times, but much more independant at bed time. ( She used to crash on the bed, but now prefers her own space on the floor next to her crate.)
What do you guys usually see? She gets a check up next week.
I guess I'm being a nervous client!!!!!

Sar K-9 Tasha (GSD)
Sar K-9 Kolby (GSD)
Sar K-9 Skye (GSD)
GSD's Frodo and Ilan
Retired Guide dog Sika
Retired Guide dog Seda (and ruler of my Pack)
Proud to be a Fidelco Volunteer Puppy Raiser.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 12:51 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Hey Guys! I'm in a strange place for me!

You are in the land of Might-Be.

Jenna did not seem to start putting on weight until six or seven weeks along, and she had ten puppies in there! At 56 days though she was eighty pounds and though she seemed to be a little larger than normal, I would have never guessed 15 pounds.

I think you could get an ultrasound at this point, or you can just wait and wait and wait and wait.

Good luck.

ETA: there are many symptoms of pregnancy besides weight gain, but they also happen with psudo pregnancies, and all bitches are different. Some lose some hair around the nipples, some do not; some go off their feed, some do not; some get clingy, some do not;

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 01:05 AM
Banned

Sue pretty much hit all the things to look for. We have some girls that that will not show their pregnancy until weeks before they are ready to give birth, specially the ones in which is their first time as they will carry pups a bit higher than a female that has had previous litters. After 30 days into their pregnancy you can ultra sound them to ease your nervous mind or like Sue said you can sit back and wait and worry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 07:45 AM
Doc
Knighted Member

week seven, eight, and 9 are when I can usually tell. I increase feeding at week 7 by 25%. After whelping I up it 50%. Even at week seven or eight you may still have doubt!

Good luck.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thanks Sue! She goes back next week for a check up at Fidelco. If she were mine, I would have done a relaxin test and an ultrasound by now!!! As it is, I guess I'll keep biting my nails!

Sar K-9 Tasha (GSD)
Sar K-9 Kolby (GSD)
Sar K-9 Skye (GSD)
GSD's Frodo and Ilan
Retired Guide dog Sika
Retired Guide dog Seda (and ruler of my Pack)
Proud to be a Fidelco Volunteer Puppy Raiser.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page