"Non-refundable deposit" question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

"Non-refundable deposit" question

So here's the question. What does that reallymean to you breeders?

I've bought several dogs over the years, known breeders, bred a few litters myself, and I've always taken it as a way to protect the breeder from the type of buyer that puts deposits on several different litters, then cancels when it comes time to pay for the pup. Which leaves the breeder with a pup she could have sold to someone else.

But, looking for a pup recently, I put a deposit down before the litter was on the ground, but there ended up being no pups. I emailed a few questions, as well as one asking about a refund if I didn't want to wait. The breeder ignored that question. So, I decided I'd wait for the repeat breeding in 6 months. She ended up breeding her to another male, a breeding I was not interested in, so I asked again.

The breeder then specified that I could switch the deposit to another litter but, under NO circumstances did she give a refund.

Is this a common understanding? Is it just me that's living on a different planet?

Let me know what your thoughts are, please!

Liz
baka ni tsukeru kusuri nashi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ritarra's Serendipity - Seren
Firestorm's Kindred Spirit - Kendra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Dax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 10:44 PM
Master Member

Re: "Non-refundable deposit" question

That's a great question and one I'm looking forward to the answers. I put a deposit down on a female pup three years ago for a specific breeding. I asked about a refund since I was considering another kennel, which I told the breeder about in advance. Every time I asked her about a refund she told me "you worry too much, relax!".

There were no pups. It was at that point that she said there was absolutely no refunds.

In her defense the website did say non refundable deposit. The part that bothers me is that when I asked specifically she refused to give a direct answer until it was too late. I should have pushed harder.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 10:47 PM

My first thought is why is she breeding this female every heat?

Didn't you get the refund policy in writing or is it somewhere
on a website?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 10:48 PM

the breeder i used made me sign a contract cannot get the depo back

if i didnt get a pup from the litter i pick first, i get a pick from the next 4 litters or 4 years? which ever came first...

i thought this was a great way to make sure you get the pup with the m arkings you w ant

"lucy" maggie von der sauk 5/21/09
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 01:05 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to windwalker718 Send a message via Yahoo to windwalker718

#1 Ask questions about what it means IN ADVANCE OF ANY $$ EXCHANGE.

#2 GET SAME IN WRITING so that there's no misunderstanding on either part.

The breeder I purchased Ikon from refused to take any $$ until the litter was actually on the ground and she was sure that she at least had the gender I wished, and that I was okay with a black pup instead of a sable. As I'd had ongoing communication with her for 6 years and the previous dog I'd almost purchased was actually the dam of my pup we both knew that short of a major disaster on either part I was getting this pup.

Though her policy is no refunds once the pup is on the ground I suspect she would have allowed me the choice of either another litter or at least a partial refund... but it would have been HER CHOICE not something I was due back.

Any and all questions should be discussed in full prior to any $$ exchange, including registration (full or limited) and possible upgrades at a later time if the pup fulfills certain expectations/requirements... also if there would be an additional cost for same.

Home of:
Bree... Rescue Mutt (12/11)
Demi V. Hayden (8/09)
SG Ikon V.Wolfstraum--(5/09)

& Many beloveds at the gate waiting for me...
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 01:37 AM

I think it depends on the breeder. My inital choice changed the breeding pair and then the date of litter. I had been specific in my emails with the breeder about what I was looking for. When the dates kept changing I asked for my deposit back-we agreed to split the deposit and I got back half. I had not signed a contract at that point , but the breeder did say no refund on deposit. I felt like I had been misled about the pairing and date and made mention of those facts.

Bungee 6/1996 - 01/2009 * Dane/lab mix
Sassy of Rosehall and Black Magic 4/13/09 GSD
Copper 1998 * Redbone Hound*
Buster 6/2008* cat
Prissy 1990-2010 *cat

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 02:23 AM

I'm certainly no expert. When we decided on our breeder, she had two litters on the way. Born 4 days apart. Same sire to both. We emailed and then later visited the kennel before the litters were born and our breeder would not take any money at that time. After the puppies were born and all was well, then she asked for a deposit and wrote both names of the mothers on the receipt. She was going to determine from which litter we got a pup. (The females were mother and daughter.)

aka 5150

Panzer Vom Valkyre (dob 5/21/09)

Felines: Mulder, Scully, Stinkweed, Rosie and Rascal

At the Bridge:
Bella:09/27/09, Elvis (GSDX):05/17/09, BabyKitty:02/15/09 Brandi (GSD):2008,
cats: Whiskey & Mickie ...and more
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 05:37 AM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Ernie18the breeder i used made me sign a contract cannot get the depo back

if i didnt get a pup from the litter i pick first, i get a pick from the next 4 litters or 4 years? which ever came first...

i thought this was a great way to make sure you get the pup with the m arkings you w ant
Actually markings would not be a reason I would want a refund from breeder X. It would be the LAST thing in importance to me as health, temperament and working ability come WAY further up in importance.

I would be leery of any breeder that let someone pick a pup based solely on looks.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: gsdsr#1My first thought is why is she breeding this female every heat?

Didn't you get the refund policy in writing or is it somewhere
on a website?
While, in general, you would be concerned about a breeder not waiting a year between litters, if there no pups, it's not uncommon to breed again that soon. Even with a litter, if the bitch is in good condition, two back-to-back breedings and THEN a break is OK. The main point is not to wear her out with constant breedings.

And the website DID say "non-refundable deposit", though what I thought was meant by that was obviously not what SHE thought it meant! NOW I know to ask specifically, and ask for it in writing in advance. There was no signed contract.

And I do appreciate everyone's thought on this. Of course, it's always "buyer beware", so I should have asked more questions. Guess that's the chance you take buying from someone. You learn something new every day!

Liz
baka ni tsukeru kusuri nashi

Ritarra's Serendipity - Seren
Firestorm's Kindred Spirit - Kendra

- Dax
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Crowned Member

As Jill says, I normally don't take deposits prior to at least knowing the female is in whlep. With Jill for example, I did not want a deposit until I knew what I had as she was waiting so long and it was easier to wait on the deposit than cash a check and send it back if I didn't!

My contract also says non-refundable deposits - however, I would only keep a deposit if 1. someone did the multiple litter thing as to me, that deposit is a commitment to buy a pup from the chosen litter, or 2. someone backed out at the last minute (like the day they were supposed to pick up the pup!!) And even then, depending on the circumstances, I would more than likely give it back or I would let them get a pup from another litter later on. I have returned a few deposit checks uncashed because of sex/color or empty females.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page