How fast can I get a bitch back in shape? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

How fast can I get a bitch back in shape?

My bitch is due to whelp in mid september, and puppies will have gone to new homes in early november. This is her first litter and she is 2 yrs old.

The last weekeend in November is the Greatest KC show of the year.
I recon I've got about 6 weeks to get her back in shape IF I can start training her when the puppies are about 5-6 weeks old.

She was in very good condition before she was breed, and we train as much as she is ok with still, but offc she is getting abit loose in the hindquarters and over the back now..

Is it safe to start training her harder when the puppies are weening (4-6 weeks) and is it even possible to get her in Showing condition in 6 weeks?
(If she is thin and out of coat I will NOT show her offc)

I can fully train her without going anywhere near another dog as long as the puppies are still here.

Lise & Beccy
-Common sense isn't that common after all-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Re: How fast can I get a bitch back in shape?

I would personally play it by ear. I would never force a female back too soon. Some recover quickly while others will need their time. I really do not think there is any way to know until the time comes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

No no I'm NOT forcing her to do anything. She is my Baby!!

But is it safe for HER and the puppies if I start training her regularly and a bit more methodicaly when the puppies are 5-6 weeks old?

If its not completely safe for them I will not start her

But OK, I will just enter her to the Show so we CAN partisipate IF she is in shape, and if she needs more time, we just go as spectators

Lise & Beccy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Bex
But is it safe for HER and the puppies if I start training her regularly and a bit more methodicaly when the puppies are 5-6 weeks old?
Yes, it is safe. And she'll probably be more than happy and willing to get a break from the pups and back to training by that time.

The only concern would be her bringing some sort of contageous illness back to the pups, but it sounds like you've already considered that and would make plans to keep her away from other dogs and areas other dogs have been, so probably not a big worry.

As to whether or not she could be back in condition for the show, only time will tell. With this being her first litter you don't have past experience to go by regarding how quickly she'll bounce back. Some bitches bounce back quick, others take longer, so you'll have to wait and see.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for answering

Now I know it is safe, and will make sure she get's puppybreaks and keeping her out of other dogs area when training.
Then we'll just see if she bounces back fast enough or not.

It's not a BIG deal, but it would have been fun if she could enter as this is the last Show of the year and " The Norwegian Winner- Show"
There is always next year

Lise & Beccy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page