Post Whelp - when safe to train, expose to dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Whelp - when safe to train, expose to dogs

Hello. Pups are thriving and are 2 weeks today. Thank again to all who have assisted in the process.

My female however would love to get back out and train. We are only going for walks on asphalt as I am concerned about bringing something back to the pups. I don't know if that is overkill. Is it?

When would be appropriate for us to resume activites such as tracking and some OB work etc <u>outside </u>of the home?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 12:22 PM

Re: Post Whelp - when safe to train, expose to dogs

Congratulations on your litter. I would go slow on trainning/tracking at this point in their developement. You do not want her to dry up yet... which could happen if she is worked too hard.You can still do some obedience with her just to keep her tuned up but I wouldn't put any stress on her with pups still this young. Having a litter of pups is enough of a stress for a bitch and there will be plenty of time for her to work later. She stilll has a lot of work to do with these puppies.....and as they get bigger so will her duties to teach them how to behave.

julies'omom

julies'omom

Annie, toy red poodle
Brandi Mini poodle
Julie v Kolenda, GSD
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 05:31 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Post Whelp - when safe to train, expose to dogs

I agree. Give her another month. You can start the weaning process at 4 weeks and it is a process.

Be careful about diseases you can bring home on your shoes.

The reason they do a series of puppy booster shots is because the vaccines do not work if the puppies are still getting immunity from the mother. This mostly happens when they drink the cholosterum in the first day or two. The problem is that it wears off enough for them to get stuff at different rates depending on the individual dog. So we give puppy shots at six weeks or seven weeks, and then three to four weeks older, and again. The thing is we cannot know exactly when they are working under their own immunity or their mothers immunity.

When these puppies go to their new homes, you can heave a sigh of relief. If you are keeping a pup, then I would wait until after the second set of shots at ten to twelve weeks before feeling more comfortable about parvo and distemper, enough so to take the dam/pup where lots of dogs are, etc.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page