Post Whleping Questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Whleping Questions

Hello gang. I have a few questions if you please:

1/ The panting...wow! We are about 2.5 days post partum right now and she is panting up a storm. Is that normal? For how long do they pant?
2/ How long do they normally have an elevated temperature?
3/ The discharge - what are the normal colors and amounts? We have seen some globs that are rather clottish and quite dark and stringy. It is on the whelping box carpet...sound about right?
4/ What are you finding the avg weight gain for your pups over the first week or 2?
5/ Diarrhea -is this due to the placenta ingestion or all the food she is eating? When does it usually subside?
6/ Milk production - when does the milk come in? Is it like a human where it takes a few days? The puppies have gained weight and BEFORE whelping if I squeezed a nipple I would see milk/colostrum. Now...if I squeeze I get nothing. But the pups are gaining and not whining....so....what's the norm?
7/ Not question but...any tips for the first few weeks?

Thanks guys. I appreciate hearing about your experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Post Whleping Questions

1 & 2 - not the norm in my experience

3 Discharge like this is common IME - can go for even a week in little amounts

4 An ounce a day is normal at first...maybe more

5 yes - depends on how much she is eating - a week or so

6 milk starts even a few days before the pups...should be expressable - my pups are 6 weeks old and Csabre is still heavy with milk - I am barely feeding her to get her to dry up...she wants to still nurse the pups

7 WORM them as soon as you can get them eating! I worm every 8-10 days from 3 weeks old or so....start them eating as soon as they can - 3 weeks or so - I do goats milk and baby cereal; then add raw ground turkey, alternating yogurt & cottage cheese, plus puppy gold supplement

Take LOTS of photos!

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Crowned Member

1. Most important is your bitch right now, if you lose her than you will likely lose the litter. However if the pups are gaining weight, than you are probably not in bad danger.

How high is her temperature?
Is she drinking?
Have you checked her for dehydration?
(loose skin above shoulder should spring back, pressing a gum and the color should come right back)
How hot is it in the whelping box?

Babsy Litter 1, graphed morning weigh in ounces:

8/7 8/8 8/9 8/10 8/11 8/12 8/13 8/14 8/15
Amber 18 19 20 22 22.5 25.2 26 27.5 32.5
Sky 14.8 15 16.5 17 17.5 20.2 22 24.5 29
Violet 15.5 15.3 15.5 17.5 20 21 22.5 25 27.5
Pinky 14.7 14.8 16 17 20.5 20.7 23.5 26 28
Rosie 14.9 15 16.2 17.5 18.5 22 22.5 25 29.2
Scarlet 11.8 11.8 12.2 14.1 15.3 17.5 18.5 21 24
Royal 16.2 16.3 17 17.5 20 21.5 22.5 25 28

(chart is from an actual graph of Babs' litter that just happened to be here at Dad's.)

Discharge, lots of green and black watery goo while whelping. I never did a clean out shot, so I am not 100% sure about that, but I get red blood and watery blood for a couple of days. Outside I get great black gobs of nasty tarry nast -- from the afterbirth.

It depends about diarrhea. Are you feeding her stuff she normally is ok with? I haven't had diarrhea with mine. It worries me a little because it can make her dehydrate faster.

I leave teets alone. If puppies are gaining weight and are not SREAMING they are getting nourishment from the dam. Pick up a puppy and put its mouth around your finger. It is amazing how hard those little suckers can pull. If they do not seem weak, then they are getting milk. I do not think you can possibly squeeze the bitch't teet hard enough to simulate what the puppies are doing without being a sadist.

Your bitches temp should be in the neighborhood of 102. Puppies temp is lower I am thinking 98 or so, but I could be wrong about that. If the bitch is 103 than put a fan on her and remove any heat sources, and keep an eye on fluid an intake. If the bitch is at 104, wet her down, up under the belly and call the vet.

You may need an x-ray to ensure she has not held back a placenta.

Good luck. Breathe. Be calm for your bitch. She needs to see you in control.

If you do take her in, I take the puppies with in a basket. Do not let them on the floor of the vet, but keep them near her. You do not want to stress her out. She is hot, she is tired, she is stressed, she may be starting an infection.

Also, wash your hands a lot with iodine soap before handling her teets, or stay away from them. If she gets an enlarged or infected teet, mastitis, you will have to tube feed or bottle feed the puppies. So keep yourself clean and try not to add to the mess.
Right now she has to lick the puppies to get them to urinate and defacate and should eat that mess immediately. So the only mess is what she is leaking out. I clean that often -- I usually use newspapers for the first few days and then put the liner thing in there. That is just my preference.

I use rick rack of different colors to tell pups apart.

Hope this helps.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with the worming, I worm at four weeks, six weeks, and eight weeks, and then every time they go to the vet until puppy shots sequence is completed.

I wean mine right onto Canidae. Once the pups start getting interested in mom's food, I put a cup or so of food in the puppy pan and fill it with hot water. I shake it back and for until it is look warm and then the pups dig in. Mom continues to let them nurse, and also finishes the food in the puppy pan. I let her.

One last thing, keep the toe nails short. After about a week you will need to cut the microscopic hooks off of the microscopic nails (without hitting the quick and making them bleed). This is important because if the sharp little nails are cutting into mom's udder, than she will not want to continue feeding them. Be very careful. I use a small cutter for this, not a full size toenail clipper.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 02:14 AM
Master Member

if shes panting heavily

1) shes too hot or;
2) shes got a fever from possible infection. she may have a retained placenta...if she gets an infection, it could make the puppies sick. If her temp is 103 or higher, get her to the vets asap.

Marie

Quest Vom Spartanville (DOB 1/31/09) SCH2 IPO2 (Regionals 2012) BH TR1 CGC GSD
Leon v.h. Basjes Huis (3/26/12) GSD
Rosa Aritar Bastet (7/4/12) GSD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys
Selzer - her temp is 103 give or take a bit. She is eating and drinking reasonably well. Not listless (maybe a bit tired). We are almost 3 days now post whelping. The temp in her area is 77 or 78 - no additional heat sources right now. The pups do not always huddle nor are they always spread apart. The dam is not showing signs of dehydration.

The pups are not screaming (only once in a while someone will until they find a nipple). I just can't really pinch out milk.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Crowned Member

I'm not a breeder - but temp 103 and no milk - I'd be off to the vet if she were mine

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Hi Barb-she does have milk. Pups are gaining about an ounce a day and they are content. I think when I have squeezed the pups have been nursing for a while........
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Crowned Member

I am sorry, but a dog's normal temperature is 102. My temperature is normally 97, I do not run to the doctor when it reaches 98, or even 98.6, but I feel really crappy by then.

One degree higher than normal is an indicator that all is not well, but this can be fatigue along with the added heat of lying in a warmish box with a bunch of puppies. I do not panic at 103. But I do not like it either.

This is when I put a fan on over the box, so that the draft goes over the box but not in the box. I start the inventory, eating/drinking, ok; no signs of dehydration, is she cleaning and toileting the puppies; puppies are gaining weight -- if dam is in trouble, it will generally happen that you will see it as a problem with the puppies first. She is panting to cool herself down, put a fan on her.

77, 78 should be ok if it is not terribly hot.

Are you marking all this stuff down?

After an hour check her again. If she remains at 103, take your note pad, and call the vet. Explain EXACTLY the condition of your bitch, is she lethargic, is she ignoring the pups -- emergency. Is she being a good mom, and eating and drinking, probably ok.

Are you giving her anything with Calcium in it, cheese, ice cream, yogurt? She can be low. Usually a problem with low calcium happens when the pups are a couple of weeks old and are eating strong. If you supplemented calcium before whelping, then the glands that process it will not be working as hard, then when they are needed, everyone looks like they are doing really well, and we start backing off all the perks and relying more on dog food, suddenly the bitch is low on calcium and gets eclampsia. But it can happen earlier I suppose.

Also if you are seeing a lot of discharge, the vet may want to give her some Vitamin K. This helps clotting. I don't know. I am not a vet, but I have been through a few whelpings and I have found that 103 in and of itself is not an emergency. 104 in my opinion is, getting her cooled/wetted down and then to the vet is the priority in that order.

If you cannot reduce her temperature with a fan within an hour, then call your vet and tell them what you have done, time frame, condition, puppies gaining and how much. Then follow whatever they tell you.

Stress, fatigue, and a major ordeal, and a lot of work, your bitch needs for you to be calm and confident right now.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Crowned Member

I meant 77,78 should be ok if it is not terribly humid.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page