Which dish best screw on or flat side pail? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Which dish best screw on or flat side pail?

Tired of dishes being knocked over and debris getting into them.

Which dish do you find best and why...I'm looking at stainless of course.

1. Flat sided pails (come in lots of sizes from small to very large) that hang from kennel side with straps (not crazy about anything thing that has potential for someone getting caught up in so my main concern with this type)

2. Screw on with wing nut type dishes, again many size varieties. Also can use in wire crates which is added bonus.

So tell me your experiences before I buy. I will need at least 16 fo kennels... so cost will add up and I want to "buy once and buy right"

If you have other suggestions I am open. Keep in mind I do live in an area that does freeze in winters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Wonderful companions with the potential for so much more."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Which dish best screw on or flat side pail?

why not get the raised dishes so they can't be knocked over

http://www.petco.com/petco_Page_PC_produ...FeedersWaterers

bottom left

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Crowned Member

Ok for someone who has spent money on both, they both stink. The ones that hang, my dogs have basically managed to get the loop off the bucket. The wing nut ones, they've been able to bounce down on and bust. My water bowls are now the buckets that used to hang and are just sitting on the darn ground. Both are a waste of money if you have energetic dogs

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Crowned Member

I use the pails in my crates and pens, but I get ones where the handle goes inward, so they can't get hooked on the dog. I use these for food and water. So I would vote for the flat sided pails and just use snaps. I would just get the ones where the dog can't get hooked, like this

Outside I just use larger metal buckets. They knock them around when the water gets low but oh well. I rinse and clean them once or twice a day (my dogs are kept indoors when I'm gone).

For food I just sprinkle their kibble in the grass, lol. It gives them something to do and slows them down. They all eat about the same anyway, and I give Nikon more in his crate later since he's the puppy.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I'm on dial up so the link wouldn't load. But not a fan of the raised dishes...heard too much that they may contribute to bloat. Because I did not SEE what you are talking about I can only assume it is free standing...i.e. can be... removed or destroyed by bored, determined, fun - loving....etc. dog!

The benefit of the two options I mentioned is they can be filled from the outside of the kennel. So if kids, someone other than me is caring for the dogs than they will not have to open the kennel door (always makes me nervous if someone may forget to latch door)

I did at one point consider a concrete/cement block with holes and dish sort of molded in but concrete freezes and cracks.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

"""Ok for someone who has spent money on both, they both stink. The ones that hang, my dogs have basically managed to get the loop off the bucket. The wing nut ones, they've been able to bounce down on and bust. My water bowls are now the buckets that used to hang and are just sitting on the darn ground. Both are a waste of money if you have energetic dogs"""

So....it IS hopeless and Futile ..and that is precisely why I have delayed so long!

I think I'll invent something and make my fortune!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

I like the flat backed stainless buckets like Lies posted and hang them with caribeaners or bolt snaps. We use the small ones for in crate water buckets and large ones for outdoor water buckets.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Elite Member

I also have the ones like Lies posted and they are great. I had 2 that clamped onto the side with wingnuts, but they just weren't big enough. I think they were the 4c size, maybe they make them bigger? But it seemed like every time I went outside their bowls were empty again!
The buckets I got have held up really well. My dogs have broken a few snaps and carabiners but those are cheap to replace, maybe a dollar each! The buckets themselves are still as good as new.
I also have small buckets for crates in the car, my only complaint is the banging when driving. I guess I should just take them out when I'm not using them but I only remember when I've already started driving.

Djenga von Castra Regina RL2 BH HIC TT

PAM ARCH SG Kessy vom Waldwinkel 2xHGH Schh1 OB2 RL1X RL3 RN TT AD

Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Crowned Member

I've had those flat ones, dogs manage to get the handles off, also had

dogs have destroyed both. Good luck if yours don't. I'm jealous!

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 04:16 PM

I noticed at our breeders, they have a good old fashion stainless steel bucket in the shade, by the house. It's big enough for the dog to "wash" their toys in or put their two front feet in for quickie relief from the heat. And to get their drink!

aka 5150

Panzer Vom Valkyre (dob 5/21/09)

Felines: Mulder, Scully, Stinkweed, Rosie and Rascal

At the Bridge:
Bella:09/27/09, Elvis (GSDX):05/17/09, BabyKitty:02/15/09 Brandi (GSD):2008,
cats: Whiskey & Mickie ...and more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page