Dew claw removal - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Dew claw removal

For those that have pups with rear dew claws, do you remove them or have the vet do it? I've never had puppies with rear dews before, so haven't had to deal with this. I know it should be done around 3-5 days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ark von Ochs Stellt 5/29/09--10/30/12

"German Shepherd breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German Shepherd breeding." Max Von Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 11:20 AM

Re: Dew claw removal

we haven't had this happen. put i think breeders usually remove any back dew claws if there are any.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

We've never had it happen either, but most of the breeders I know who have have removed the dewclaws themselves, either by tying it off tightly with a piece of dental floss until it falls off, or by clipping it off with nail clippers. Reason being it's a fairly simple proceedure, and not worth risking the health of such young pups by hauling them to a vet office where their immature immune systems will be exposed to who know's what.

But if we were to have it happen, I'd definitely first consult with a vet and breeders experienced in removing them (like you're trying to do by posting on here).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Knighted Member

My first dog with Dew claws is Bo, he will have them removed during his nueter procedure when he is about 7 months. Sounds painful the other way, they are attached to the dog by some thick skin. Odd some dogs get them and some do not, they seem useless.

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Kasey, GSD Shelter 8/96-12/07 at the Bridge
Patches, CS Shelter 4/93-4/05 at the Bridge
Keisha, GSD 12/87-10/96 at the Bridge
Tarsha, GSD my sweet 16 BD at the Bridge
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

It's wierd that the females don't have them & there are only 3 of the boys that do. Maybe they didn't "cook" long enough for them to fall off. J/K
Chris,
that is one of my worries if a vet does it. It would be nice if I had a vet that did home visits like in the old days

I do have a call into another breeder, to see if she'd stop out to help. She breeds a toy breed, but I figure it would be the same procedure. I won't mind doing it, but it'd be nice to have someone there that has done it before, ya know.

"German Shepherd breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German Shepherd breeding." Max Von Stephanitz
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Heidi WSounds painful the other way, they are attached to the dog by some thick skin.
That's why they are typically removed at just a couple days after birth, before the pup's nervous system is developed. They don't even notice when it's done so early.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 07:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to spartshep

From what I have been told...these go back to the old Eastern block bloodlines. I don't know for sure, though. What I do know is that all my litters have them and it is an easy home surgical procedure done in the whelp by me by 3 days of age. If there is a ball joint, you just need to be sure to cut the ball out or your claw will grow again. They can also appear in pairs...be sure to cut the whole thing off. The do bleed...it is a vascular area, but the mother keeps that cleaned up nicely. I have done this without incident.

Constance Krebs, RN, Univ of Mich
Spartanville Shepherds

Home of V Puck vom Gräfental
V Ajax vom Brandsteig
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

I ended up having to do it myself. Wasn't as complicated as I thought it may be. I put mom outside & then had hubby hold the pups. I used one of those larger (human)fingernail/toenail clippers instead of scissors. Worked perfectly!! The pups didn't fuss too much either.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 11:23 PM
Crowned Member

Senate bill 95 in Ohio will put an end to breeders doing this legally.

I think that is kind of rediculous, who will enforce it, and as was mentioned, why subject the pups to a vet's office and possible disease that can wipe out a litter when the procedure is simple and painless when done correctly at the proper time.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

It seems like every time you turn around they are trying to pass a new law that prohibits the responsible ones from doing something, yet they don't make better/strict(er) laws to stop all the puppy mills & (bad) BYB. Makes no sense to me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page