Temperature drop..... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Temperature drop.....

First time pregnancy for this bitch so no other info to compare. Day 59. Normal Temps for her have been 100.6 to 99.6, this a.m. it's down to 98.6. Would you consider that enough of a drop as whelping indicator? I've read/heard under 99, under 98.2, ect. as she seems to run a bit cooler than past dogs, just double checking.
She isn't left alone at this stage anyhow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ark von Ochs Stellt 5/29/09--10/30/12

"German Shepherd breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German Shepherd breeding." Max Von Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 09:10 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Temperature drop.....

Normally, I find it difficult to get a thermometer in the right place alone with my females! But I did manage on Sunday afternoon to get a 98.5 (or .2 or .7?) on Sunday afternoon - she started whelping at 2:30 Monday afternoon - so about 24 hours after I took her temp! I must have hit it just at the right time to prove the 24 hour rule!

Good luck!

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Adding here, can't edit post: This a.m. is the first time she refused food. She isn't showing any other signs of whelping, although as stated first litter for her so not sure if she'll even show any signs

Thanks Lee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German Shepherd breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German Shepherd breeding." Max Von Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 09:19 AM
Crowned Member

That is the beginning of it. Csabre panted, paced, showed intermittant restlessness for ***4*** nights!!!!! But scarfed up everything in sight....she did not eat Monday morning, but did nibble through the day until the food was gone....

I'd say you are in the 24 hour window

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 09:19 AM
Master Member

I would say she is relatively close then if she refused food. Depends a lot on the bitch though.

With our last litter the whole temp thing never worked and a few vets I work with told me that you have to take it every like 4-6 hours to catch the drop sometimes......
who knew? ;_)))
sometimes I think we just get lucky.

Good Luck!! Here's to a Healthy whelping!!

Catherine Morton LVT (Small Animal Internal Medicine)
Mana Shepherds
South Carolina
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 09:22 AM
Crowned Member

My Rottie breeder friend says the temp drop has to STAY under 99 for at least 12 hours to be a true signal. I guess bitches can have temps go under 99 and then back up and so it's not a true sign.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Crowned Member

LOL Guess I was just lucky! I don't usually rely on the temperature thing - just this time I took it twice and it was under...

Lee

wolfstraum.net
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! Even though I feel fairly competent in what I'm doing & have done this before, I am at home alone for the weekend. It is nice to have you guys around to "talk" to
I offered her some ground venison(normally scarfs it up). She took a coupls licks of it then turned her nose up at it.
I have been taking her temp on a regular basis 4x a day, this is the first time it's dropped. Will keep taking taking it & see what happens.

post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Master Member

I don't know about you but waiting on a bitch to whelp is sooooo nerve wracking for me :-))))

Catherine Morton LVT (Small Animal Internal Medicine)
Mana Shepherds
South Carolina
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 11:26 AM
Crowned Member

I was cranky and sleep deprived all last weekend!

I gave Csabre a snack between pups - vanilla ice cream/goats milk/puppy gold - alone or some combo....I think she had the quickest easist delivery I have ever seen....the sugar and calcium in these seem to have helped her keep her energy up as she was having pups 30 minutes to an hour at most apart...one of my vet friends said it was a good combo when she thought about it LOL

Lee

wolfstraum.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page