Keeping puppy for new buyers past 8 weeks opinions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Keeping puppy for new buyers past 8 weeks opinions

I received a call today from a buyer who has known of the pick up date for his desired litter for more than 6 months (he was waiting for a breeding and even passed on a previous litter due to timing issues). So now 3 weeks prior to pick up he has called and asked if I would keep the puppy 4 weeks PAST the 7-8 week pick up dates.

Don't read this wrong I have done this before and have charged only for the shots that may have been necessary during that time. I always treated the one puppy like it was my own, crate training, potty training , going everywhere with me, etc. I know how crucial this time frame is between 7-12 weeks for socialization. I would never just toss that pup in a kennel until they arrive. I truly enjoy that age.

So my question is to you fellow breeders, do you charge anything? if so how much? and how do you feel about doing this (keeping a puppy on occasion past pick up time) for 4 weeks. I would require him to pay me in full by 8 weeks.

thanks for your input

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Wonderful companions with the potential for so much more."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 07:22 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Keeping puppy for new buyers past 8 weeks opinions

I am not a breeder, but are you sure this home will be right for your pup? I hope it is just a one time thing and your puppy doesn't become an inconvienence down the road. Most people are so anxious to get their new family member-the 8+ weeks are torture enough! I would hate missing out on a few precious weeks of my pups life.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Crowned Member

I agree!
you can send the pup to me but the new owner may not get it back

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Crowned Member

I would have an unsettling feeling about this home too.If he already put off a litter due to timing and is now asking to hold it longer I'd have my suspicions of if it was a good idea to sell a dog to him.I guess that's why I will never breed animals.It seems like my breeder had a note that if I couldn't pick up on time I would be charged X amount a day.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Crowned Member

The last breeding wasn't good because of timing. Now picking up this puppy when he's ready isn't good because of timing?

Huh.

Dogs have the darnedest way of messing up our lives, don't they? I understand that bringing home a new puppy totally turns our lives into chaos (I've done it twice in less than three years, and I may be doing it again somewhat soon). But so do sick dogs, obedience classes that are inconveniently scheduled through spring break, seniors who can't do what we did together, dogs that can't eat reasonably priced and easily obtained kibble, etc.

Maybe I'm just really grumpy right now, but I agree with Jane. I'm questioning whether this is the right home for this puppy.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Crowned Member

I would worry some, most of the time it is the other way around. People want to get that puppy no matter what, even if they KNOW that they have to spend two weeks on a buisness trip. Then they come on asking if it is ok to kennel a nine week old pup for that time!

I guess I would like to know why the timing is so bad and why they want for me to hold the pup for an extra four weeks. They may have something coming up that they cannot change the date for and they do not want to bring the pup home, get it acclimated, and then turn around and send it away for a week or more.

So it may be thinking about the puppy's well-being. We cannot always change the timing of events. Your daughter is having her first child, lives across the country and wants for you to be there for two weeks. It is a very temporary situation.

It will not kill the pup to live with the breeder for a few extra weeks, but the reason has to be good because there truly is an optimum time for pups to go to their new homes, and 12 weeks is not it.

I would definitely call the people on the phone -- not email, and probe the cause of the delay. Dependent on the cause, you can choose not to sell to this person; to sell, but to charge up front for a boarding fee that encompasses the extra vet visit, and so much per day for food and attention (maybe price boarding kennels in your area); to sell and simply charge the extra vet visit.

People do not get it why we charge for our puppies at all. They do not understand that it costs money and time to whelp and raise litters. I probably would not charge $20/day, maybe $25/week though. It would really depend on their reasoning. If their reasoning is putting the pup first, then I would be very accomadating.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Crowned Member

When I went to pick up Barker the Younger, I discussed it with the breeder and he held her for that week until I headed back home. If you are paid in full, I don't see the problem holding the dog. As a single adult who works for a living, I cannot always get away, do not always have the time available "right then" -- People have families, families have weddings, illness, trips that get planned, reunions that crop up. People have jobs with schedules that change. Stuff just happens.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Many times we have kept back puppies several weeks past the normal pick up time. Sometimes because we felt we needed additional time to evaluate the puppy, sometimes because it worked out better with the customer's schedule to wait a few extra weeks. I'd never demand anyone pick up their pup at a certain time and while I agree that usually it's the other way around with customers wanting to pick up their pups as early as possible, sometimes work/family life makes it more convenient for them to wait a bit longer. We've no problem with that and I'd much rather they wait until it fits best with their schedule if it means an easier transition those first few days. We continue crate training, imprinting, socializing, vaccines, etc... Basically we raise them the same we would if we were keeping them, and we have never charged for this.

I might have alarm bells going off in this situation as others have mentioned, depending on the reasoning why he's now asking for the pup to be held additional time. If he has a legitimate reason for needing to wait, especially if it's something outside his control that just came up and he can't get out of (family emergency, business trip, any number of things...) I wouldn't be worried and would work something out. If on the other hand I got the impression that he wanted to wait for reasons that I don't consider legitimate or would bring into question his commitment to the pup and make me wonder what he'd do at other times if the pup was inconvenient, than I would probably refund his deposit and not sell to him in the first place.

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Crowned Member

Same as Chris above.

Sounds like waiting for school to let out for the summer......

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 10:43 PM
Crowned Member

My cousin got a dog (not a GSD) that was born Christmas Eve and she picked it up last week on her spring break. They agreed to buy it about a month ago, maybe even earlier than that, and the breeder agreed to hang on to it. She would go visit and walk it each Sunday but my aunt said she couldn't get it for keeps until her school play was over and she could take obedience class.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page