Registering puppies.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Registering puppies....

Placing here as I'm interested in this from the breeders point of view.
Do you register your pups before placing them in homes? If yes, which registry(s) do you use(AKC, breed/sport specific, etc.)? Do you reg. them(if done before placing in homes) to ensure it's done in your kennel name or for other reasons? Do you put any ID info(m-chips, tats) in your name, if used? Why or why not?

I was just looking at some pups(not GSD) & they were all named(using the breeders kennel name) & reg. with their respecting registry. Wasn't sure if this was a common practice or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 07:37 PM
Master Member

Re: Registering puppies....

With AKC, I prefer to register them myself, versus just send them home with the application. I find many pet owners don't bother, so I like to see it actually get done. Yes, I always want to make sure each pups gets the agreed upon name.

My last litter I sent them all the applications as I was late getting everything processed due to the sire being a recent import and didn't want to hold up the delay any longer.

Sometimes I also register the litter with USA/SV, depending on the interest of the puppy owners and if I am keeping one back for myself. If most are going to pet, or AKC venue homes...I usually don't bother as it is useless for them. It is VERY expensive, so I only do that if a few of the pups are indeed going into schutzhund homes.

Kandi
Rokanhaus German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canaan CT
"Some Dogs come with a Pedigree, Others Come with a Legacy"
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Master Member

oh, forgot...yes, I put down the tattoo number or microchip number on the application....I also send them home with instructions on where to register the microchip themselves.
(AKCCAR.org)

Kandi
Rokanhaus German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canaan CT
"Some Dogs come with a Pedigree, Others Come with a Legacy"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 07:42 PM
Crowned Member

We do the registration ourslves, since it is part of the puppy (AKC registered).

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to GranvilleGSD

Yeah, I've been going back and forth on this myself. I am thinking I will register them myself just to be sure that they get registered properly, i.e. kennel name, full reg, limited reg.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:25 PM
Crowned Member

I tatoo the pups and register the whole litter at once on limited, even if I am keeping something, put tatoo numbers on the applications. I haven't microchipped pups, though. I make sure the pups are registered, with the correct names and hopefully if they get transferred then they are traceable.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

When you(breeder) reg. the pups do you name them yourself or do you let the "owner" pick a name out?
I've always reg. my pups after getting them, so naming was left soley up to me. Just wondering how it works if the breeder reg. the pups themself.........

rokanhaus, what is the benifit to reg. pups with USA/SV & not just with the AKC? Are they unable to compete in "working" events if not reg. with the USA/SV?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 11:23 PM
Crowned Member

I have a name list, and buyer and I decide on a name together - I turned down a request for Browns Beautiful Bella LOL LOL and I declined a home one time as I was aghast at a proposed name (I thought it would fit a French poodle - not a GSD!!!) - of course, that was only the tip of the iceberg! However, pups are tatooed in alpha-numeric order, and sometimes puppy placements are not in place at time of tatooing - so I never *promise* a name....this is fully described in the contract - as per the AKC rules. Most of the pups are called by their registered name actually - very few people call them something else.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 11:24 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to windwalker718 Send a message via Yahoo to windwalker718

It's in the breeders best interest to register the litter before they go home... one of the best known dogs I produced the purchaser omitted my kennel name... and when advertising the dog and her progeny only lists that they are the owner/handler. AKC won't get involved in a dispute, even it there's a contractual agreement regarding the name, so to send the pup off with papers completed is a wise precaution.

Home of:
Bree... Rescue Mutt (12/11)
Demi V. Hayden (8/09)
SG Ikon V.Wolfstraum--(5/09)

& Many beloveds at the gate waiting for me...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 11:26 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

We always register with AKC and always follow the German naming convention of alphabet litters and our kennel name at the end. Usually we select the dog's registered name, though on occasion customers have gotten some input on what the registered name was, provided if followed the A/B/C/D vom Wildhaus naming pattern.

In the past we sent people home with the applications, not actual registration certificates. But now that AKC has changed their policy and will allow owners to change the dog's name at a later date because they want to, we will be doing things differently moving forward because one of the few exceptions to this policy is in the case of the breeder being the one to initially name and register the dog. So to make sure the dog is named properly and prevent the possibility of someone changing a dog's name later, as well as to ensure that the dog gets registered and no changes are made to type of registration (we always do limited), we will be doing all of the individual registrations ourselves from here on out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page