Question regarding stud dogs(for those that breed) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Question regarding stud dogs(for those that breed)

We were discussing breeding(horses) at the barn today & it got me wondering.......
For the breeders that own the bitch. After picking out a stud, what questions do you normally ask the studs owner? Do you request to see any health screening papers?

For the stud dogs owner. Do you tend to make any requests? Do you like being informed on the progress of the puppies or not?
It's all very fascinating for me, to note the similarities and differences between breeding both animals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Re: Question regarding stud dogs(for those that breed)

Typically when selecting a stud I'm already quite familiar with his pedigree, titles, health certs and such and have also done independent research on his close relatives, past progeny, etc.... I don't rely on the stud owner to provide that and I do that research well ahead of contacting the stud owner since it was integral to deciding if I was intersted in the stud in the first place.

When I contact the stud owner I ask about their contract terms (what they require from the bitch owner, their stud fee, contract, will the stud be available when I anticipate my bitch to be in heat, etc..)
I also ask them to tell me all they can about what the male is like in real life, on and off the field.
And I ask for contact info for people who have bred to the stud previously, then I contact them to ask how the progeny turned out, how was the stud owner to work with, and such. I also ask the stud owner to provide me with contact info for others (training directors, helpers, etc...) who are familiar with the dog and work with the dog regularly. Usually I've already talked to quite a few such people before I contacted the stud owner in the first place, but occasionally the stud owner will put me in touch with some folks I hadn't talked to previously.

We don't typically have males we use or offer for stud, so we've only been on the stud owner end a couple times. But I absolutely do like being informed on the progress of the puppies. Most stud owners I've worked with have as well, and they get frequent updates on how the pups are doing, photos of the pups, and later when the pups are older we keep them updated on the health and titling accomplishments of the pups.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I do what Chris does including talking quite a lot to the stud dog owner about the dog himself, what he is producing and the females he has been bred to. Many of the males I have bred to I am familiar with either what they have produced or what their sire, dam, grandsire and lines have or are known to produce. Their owners liked to know about the pups though more so with the last two litters than the first two.

I have never owned a male.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 08:42 PM
Master Member

Pretty much the same here. When using an outside stud, I rarely will use one I have not seen work with my own eyes and met off the field as well. Like they said above, I do my own research and asking around. If I can't see him work for myself and meet him for myself ahead of time, I will only take into consideration the opinions of those who I absolutely trust and share the same criteria that I do.

As for my own stud, I always offer that the puppy owners get my contact information as well. I also love to hear how they maturing, etc...love to see pictures or meet them in person if possible..can't get enough updates!

Kandi
Rokanhaus German Shepherds

Canaan CT
"Some Dogs come with a Pedigree, Others Come with a Legacy"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page