Breeding - how often is too often? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Breeding - how often is too often?

How often is too often to breed a female? I came across a breeder announcing a new litter and recalled the momma having pups just 5 months ago. It seemed really soon, but I am no expert. Just trying to increase my GSD knowledge. Thanks!

*Tetley's Mom*

Tetley - GSD 1 Yr Old
Cheddar - Orange Tabby Cat
Cannoli - B&W Ragdoll Cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 09:20 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Breeding - how often is too often?

Some times breeders will do a back to back breeding, however, they should give them a brake after that. If they breed more than twice in a row, I would be leary.

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 09:27 AM
Crowned Member

I hate seeing females bred season after season continuously for their reproductive lifetimes....it makes me sad for her...

I don't mind seeing an occassional back to back if the female is given a break before and after, and lives a life as a normal dog - not a puppy factory...I also know that a good producer who is a good and happy mother can stay in good physical shape and have pups at 8 years old - other females look worn out and old at 5 and can have had 6 litters by that age....

Unfortunately, in Europe, many many females are bred continuously until they fail to conceive....interestingly, in Denmark, females can only have 4 litters - period. They are not allowed to be bred after producing 4 litters.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Knighted Member

"in Denmark, females can only have 4 litters - period."

That would put a serious hurt on the puppymills.

~Tracy~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'><span style="color: #000099">Xandor vom Haus Sevens, IPO 3
Emma vom Haus Dieffenthaler

</span></span>
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Crowned Member

A lot depends on the breed. My friend breeds Irish Wolfhounds. Their ‘normal’ lifespan is only about 6-8 years and they are not fully mature until almost 3. So that doesn’t leave a lot of time for breeding. Some breeders will breed back to back to back (3 breedings) and that’s it.

Some people (and I am beginning to fall into that category) believe it is not natural for a bitch to go through heats without becoming pregnant.

But, it’s hard on a bitch to be pregnant all the time.

And, you want to see how the offspring develop so you can adjust your next breeding to decrease faults and increase desired traits.

So – what should a responsible breeder do?
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: NWS_Haven "in Denmark, females can only have 4 litters - period."

That would put a serious hurt on the puppymills.
I think they would just have more bitches and dump them as soon as they produce their 4th.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Master Member

Depends on the female, age, etc. IMO. I know one female who had a litter and it almost took her a full year to get back in top phsyical condition. Some females a couple weeks after weaning don't even look like they even had puppies and recover very quickly. I am not for any dog living exclusively in a kennel and cranking out just litter after litter and never seeing the light of day. All dogs deserve a good quality of life IMO. If the female is in top physical condition and healthy, recovers quickly, and lives a quality life I see no problem with back to back breedings...to a point of course....I would hate to see any dog bred continously year after year after year.

Good females have a very short breeding career, as usually when they are younger they are too busy proving themselves on the trial field and the show ring.

JMHO

Kandi
Rokanhaus German Shepherds

Canaan CT
"Some Dogs come with a Pedigree, Others Come with a Legacy"
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Knighted Member

"I think they would just have more bitches and dump them as soon as they produce their 4th."

You're probably right Lauri. It's hard to stop greed.

~Tracy~

<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'><span style="color: #000099">Xandor vom Haus Sevens, IPO 3
Emma vom Haus Dieffenthaler

</span></span>
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 12:31 PM
Master Member

Actually I think it is a good way to buy a REALLY nice brood bitch, as they have no reason to hold on them and keep them for exclusive breeding since they are limited on the number she can produce in that country.

Kandi
Rokanhaus German Shepherds

Canaan CT
"Some Dogs come with a Pedigree, Others Come with a Legacy"
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Crowned Member

The breeder I was talking to in Denmark resells his females quite often - I declined to sell one of my Gringo females for this reason - there was even an offer to return her after the 4 litters for $X - a trade off for a different female could have been done as well...it just made me uncomfortable.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page