Puppy going to Mexico-experience selling there? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Puppy going to Mexico-experience selling there?

I have received several emails and an application from a gal in Mexico wanting to buy a puppy.

Typically my questions and application process weed out the scammers and time wasters and I am confident she is legitimate.
She said she would be willing to drive across the border to Phoenix, AZ or Texas to pick up the puppy at the airport in the United States and then drive back home into Mexico with the pup.

Anybody ever done something like this? Just curious I have made no commitments as my current pups are all sold but she wants to be on the waiting list for my next litter.

If you are transporting a puppy across the southern border are there any restrictions/quarantines that apply?

I didn't just fall off the turnip truck and am aware of the numerous scams out there....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Wonderful companions with the potential for so much more."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 01:33 AM
Banned

Re: Puppy going to Mexico-experience selling there?

I had brought back our Narys and Rena from Canada and they needed health certs. and shot records. But not sure if the Mexico board is any different.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 02:54 AM
Elite Member

Hmmm, call me suspicious by nature but why would a person from MX opt to purchase a dog all the way from MO when MX is over-run with homeless dogs and if it's that they want to be assured of a purebred, why all the way to MO instead of a bordering state? It's probably just me but something just doesn't seem right here.

Sorry, I have no clue on whatever certs or paperwork you'd need other than to say that I do believe a health cert is needed when transporting a dog that is not your own over state lines.

Deb • Riley & Nissa
Rainbow Bridge • Damien Katy Crocket Kayla Gypsy Toby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
German Shepherd Dog Blog

• web sites for Rescues, Shelters and Pets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 06:13 AM
Master Member

I had a mexican friend and once he told me that there is no ethical breeding in Mexico, so he bought his shepherd from States. He told me that breeders (scams) do whatever they can do breed and sell the pups just like puppy mills. This is what I've heard.

Musa

My Kenzo 07/2007-11/2008 RIP My Baby Boy

Laila Pester-ella (the evil minpin) DOB:11/2007

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 06:49 AM
Knighted Member

Did the potential client indicate what she was going to do with the pup?

I'm surprised she didn't look for a breeder closer to home.

Please bear with my stupid questions. This old dog is learning new tricks. lol.

Jazz von Jagenstadt aka Tosca
J litter
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 07:42 AM

I would certainly investigate that a little further. Like DHau said, find out what her intentions are with the dog.

And why isn't she looking for a dog in a neighboring state?

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

She sent me numerous photos of her dogs, (past and present) and her ranch and areas the dog would be kept, two vet references and 2 references (not yet called) and a Google earth link to check out her ranch via satellite. Dog would be companion, aid in home security (not a PP dog) as she lives in a remote area. some of her other dogs helped on the cattle ranch but not a requirement only if dog training showed aptitude.

She wanted a solid black to replace one who died and I was advertising a litter online. A friend suggested she search the internet as she could not find a reputable breeder in Mexico with a solid black.

Why Missouri? Why not? If you are searching for a specific color or type of dog you will find ads all over the US and she particularly liked mine and my website and I just so happened to not be near her border.

I think we all have driven across country for a dog/breeder we felt comfortable with, I know I have.

"Wonderful companions with the potential for so much more."
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Crowned Member

WOW, I am a little surprised by some of the comments here.

Like why would they not buy a dog in their own country, but people post all the ime about getting a dog from Germany and the same question isn't asked.

Crooked Creek, if she is willing to drive across the border, I would ask if she is willing to catch a flight to MO and then she can take the pup back with her. That way you could meet her and she could see the pup first hand. Money (cash US) and paper work and pup could exchange hands.

Val

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

I would agree with Val. I too am surprised at the comments about her wanting a dog from the US.

I have a short list of breeders I would be willing to work with to get a pup in the US and some of them are not a whole lot closer than Mexico to MO.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Crowned Member

I am as a well. Last litter I had one pup went to Curacao near Venezuela. I flew the pup to Miami. She had a friend setup appt with USDA vet for inspection, owner flew into Miami, stayed a few days, flew back with the puppy.

You will want to make sure you don't need USDA clearance. I had to have reg. state health certificate plus USDA inspection of the dog and all has to be dated/done within 10 days to fly!

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page