AKC classifieds for GSD, you'd be surprised/not - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

AKC classifieds for GSD, you'd be surprised/not

Ok, I just registered the litter online. Then I typically do the online ad thing with akc since it's easy and it's there. For the first time, I figured I'd look at the ads for gsd's in Florida

There are 19 ads listed. Out of those 19 ONLY 2 of us have sire/dam's ofa's done. Most have NO OFA's done. I clicked on all 19 ads, there were 2 I think that 1 parent had ofa's done, but not both. And people wonder why the decline of the breed.

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 07:00 PM

Re: AKC classifieds for GSD, you'd be surprised/not

There are more irresponsible people out there than you think !

Quantum Vom Haus Tyson (Call sign "Diego")
01-29-08

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Angela_WThere are 19 ads listed. Out of those 19 ONLY 2 of us have sire/dam's ofa's done. Most have NO OFA's done. I clicked on all 19 ads, there were 2 I think that 1 parent had ofa's done, but not both. And people wonder why the decline of the breed.
And you expected different, This is the exact reason the GSD's have the problems they do. What really scares me is that if they haven't done hips and elbows, what else haven't they done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Crowned Member

I think the AKC should REQUIRE that certain health testing is done before a dog can be bred, or decline registration of the litter if they're bred without health testing. Of course, that would be assuming the AKC cares more about dogs than money.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

-
-

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 07:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted By: HistorianI think the AKC should REQUIRE that certain health testing is done before a dog can be bred, or decline registration of the litter if they're bred without health testing. Of course, that would be assuming the AKC cares more about dogs than money.
Sometimes AKC is no better than the people breeding unhealthy dog. If they would get past the $$$ they maybe able to change whats done here.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Knighted Member

There are a couple of breeders here in the DC area that have ads in the paper ALL of the time.

One guy has an ad almost every day. He must be out of town this week because I did not see his ad (for once!)

Anyone that can view The Washington Posts classifieds can probably figure out who I am talking about fairly readily.

Now I have seen a couple of new breeders with ads on a regular basis too. And we wonder why rescue can't keep up with the dogs getting dumped in the shelters.

We keep thinking that the numbers will eventually dwindle, and our lives will become easier, but sadly that is not the case.

Yours in GSDs and rescue,

Lea

Good Dogs for Good Homes
Virginia German Shepherd Rescue

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Crowned Member

Typical, unfortunately. I've corresponded with breeders, or people who got their dogs from breeders who don't even know what the OFFA is.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Crowned Member

Historian, but where do you stop?

If a dog has an a stamp should you also have an OFA, what about penn-hip? Do you stop with hips or hips and elbows, or hips and elbows and cardiac and....

Then you can say it is AKC right? Maybe they should only register dogs out of AKC titled parents? Will this help the breed. What about all you Shutzhund fanciers.

The SV can require an A-stamp, they can require Schutzhund, they can require the going thing in Germany today. So AKC can require OFA, AKC tracking, herding, or obedience titles. Will this help the breed in America today?

AKC is an all-breed registry. I do not know if the SV covers all breeds or just German breeds or just German Shepherds. In any case, we have three rather distinct lines in the US, and putting restrictions that favors one line of thought won't help in my opinion. Much better to set a GSDCA type of registry, make sure it covers the all three lines of dogs, and then advertise and educate people to only buy shepherds who are GSDCA registered.

Different breeds have different issues, using an all breed club to make requirements for your breed is kind of like asking the government to set up standards for dog breeding and sales.

Just an opinion.

I was very pleased that when I saw my ad, they did put my ofas down.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 07:29 PM
Crowned Member

Unfortunately, not at all uncommon. I have seen more than a fair share of litter postings on the AKC Breeder Classifieds that have made me cringe.

My favorite is if you ASK them about OFA or Penn Hip.....and they ask you what that means.

- Shel

Handmade puppy and dog toys - Free Shipping
100% Proceeds to animal rescues -

- PICS NOW UP!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 07:47 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: SouthernThistleUnfortunately, not at all uncommon. I have seen more than a fair share of litter postings on the AKC Breeder Classifieds that have made me cringe.

My favorite is if you ASK them about OFA or Penn Hip.....and they ask you what that means.
That would be my clue to run in the other direction.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page