COMMENTS ON BREEDER SELLING STUD THAT ARE STERILE - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Banned

COMMENTS ON BREEDER SELLING STUD THAT ARE STERILE

RECENTLY I HAD PURCHASED A STUD THAT I WAS GOING TO USE AS A STUD WITH A FEW OF OUR GIRLS. TODAY I WENT TO DO AN AI AND BEFORE DOING THIS I HAD HIS SEMEN CHECKED. TO MY SURPRISE HE HAD NO LIVE ONES. THIS WASN'T A THING WHERE HE WAS INJURED AND I TAKE GREAT CARE OF MY DOGS SO IT IS NOT FOR THE LACK OF THIS. IN JULY SHE HAD HIS SEMEN EVALUATED AND JUST CAN'T UNDERSTAND HOW HE COULD HAVE IT DROP OFF THAT FAST.

WHAT WOULD YOU ALL DO IF YOU WERE IN MY SHOES?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:14 PM
Crowned Member

Re: COMMENTS ON BREEDER SELLING STUD THAT ARE STERILE

I'm not a breeder but I guess that's the cost of doing business, especially in THIS business. Sometimes you just get crapped on. Do people interested in buying a stud dog have purchases contingent on verified sperm counts? Did you see proof of the sperm count? All other health problems were ruled out?

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Banned

i HAVE SEEN A EVALUATION FROM JULY 08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:34 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Chuck,

Please stop the all caps posting. It is considered rather rude under the rules of internet etiquette.

As to your question...
Was he evaluated for semen prior to purchasing him? He should have been. That should have been a condition of the purpose. If he was not, live and learn I guess and don't make that mistake again. You may have recourse against the former owner, depending on the stipulations of the purchase contract and if you can prove that the person knowingly sold you a defunct stud dog.

If his semen count and motility at the time of purchase were fine, but he's now sterile, unfortunately that falls in the "stuff happens" category. These are living things. Males go sterile as they age, some earlier than others. There is no way you or the seller could have predicted that, so really no place to lay the blame. Such is the risk of purchasing a stud dog, you never know how long he'll still be viable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Crowned Member

When did you get the dog?

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Ok I bought the male in September and the evaluation was done in July, so instead of evaluating him again i thought that it was safe to go with it. The gal did say he was 85% and that is what the report said where she had his semen frozen at. A month later I had his 1st owner contact me saying that she was saying he had reproduction problems and that she was going to sue him. I found out from her that she had to treat him and that everything was on the up and up and that he had no more problems. I have it in writing saying he has been tested and that she gaurantee's his semen to be viable. I take perfectly great care of my dogs to think that it was something that I had done.

I guess that what makes me feel like I got the short end was that I have been trying to contact her for some time and that her web site is down and so is her phone. It makes me feel that she has something to hide when there is no reply to my emails
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:32 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to windwalker718 Send a message via Yahoo to windwalker718

Another consideration is how old is he?? If you purchased an older dog who was still fertile 7 months ago, and there was a certification that he was, there's not a lot you can do. The other question would be if he's been x-rayed lately as that could cause a temporary sterility. I'd suggest that you do another draw in a week or so and see if there's an improvement in the quality of semen/sperm. You said that there were no LIVE semen, so I'm assuming that there were dead sperm there.

Home of:
Bree... Rescue Mutt (12/11)
Demi V. Hayden (8/09)
SG Ikon V.Wolfstraum--(5/09)

& Many beloveds at the gate waiting for me...
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:40 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:I guess that what makes me feel like I got the short end was that I have been trying to contact her for some time and that her web site is down and so is her phone. It makes me feel that she has something to hide when there is no reply to my emails
Sounds like it. She had a nice dog that was shooting blanks. Found a way to make money and then ran. Or maybe the dog was indeed fine and then went sterile in a couple months. Next time you buy a stud, arrange to have a semen evaluation by YOUR vet and make sure the semen comes from the right dog.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Crowned Member

Can a fertile dog go from "hero" to "zero" in just two months?

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Elite Member

Not uncommon in males as Chris mentioned, especially if he is older. Also if he hasn't been collected in a while this could be part of the problem. Also environmental conditions can effect sperm production. We there no sperm or just no live sperm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page