I took a puppy back today - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

I took a puppy back today

A friend asked me last summer to sell a female puppy from a litter to a friend of his. The buyer was going to have another mutual friend who is a very good trainer help him train the puppy. I contacted the trainer friend and he said they had already talked. Based upon all this and after meeting with the prospect who seemed like a nice guy who would take care of her, I agreed. The puppy was purchased in July 2008.

I stayed in touch as I do with all puppies I sell to see how she was doing. Reports from all were good on how she was doing and how well she was picking up her training.

Today the training friend called me. He said you neeed to come see the puppy. I asked why and he said just come and see. So I went. When I arrived at his kennel, he brought her out. Hair was missing all over her stomach and it was obvious her skin was irritated.

He said the purchaser had brought her over for him to keep last week. Said he said it had started several weeks before and the vet said it was an allergy to cedar and put her on medicine. It kept getting worse so he sent her to froend to look at and had not been by in a week to check on her. I was pissed.

I went to my truck, got my leash, went in, put it on her and started for the door. I told my friend I was taking her back, no one was going to treat a puppy of mine like that. That I was taking her to my vet immediately and then home. That if the guy even contacted me about her, I was going to file a complaint of cruelity with the sheriff of his county whom I know and also to the SPCA, PETA,and anyone else I could think of. That I would have pictures and vet records to back me up.

I left and went immediately to my vet. Luckily no worms, etc. However, she may have sarcoptic mange but the vet is not sure because no proof showed up in his test. However it is hard to test for it. She was given a shot and medicine with a return visit in 11 days.

She is a very sweet dog,and seems well trained. Already at home but of course has to be kept apart from my other dogs.

I'm still pissed.

Pack leader for Heide, Chazz, Izabella, and Ivan.

At the Bridge: Chico and Atja
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 09:05 PM
Crowned Member

Re: I took a puppy back today

I'm glad you've taken her back in her time of need. Good for you! I would be royally pissed as well. I hope the issue clears up fast.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Banned

nice rescue. i thank you and so does the pup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Elite Member

good for you
what is wrong with people

KATHY
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 10:38 PM
Crowned Member

Hopefully the owner won't have you and the "trainer" thrown in jail for theft.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 10:46 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: alamanthe purchaser had brought her over for him to keep last week. Said he said it had started several weeks before and the vet said it was an allergy to cedar and put her on medicine.

That I was taking her to my vet immediately and then home. That if the guy even contacted me about her, I was going to file a complaint of cruelity with the sheriff of his county whom I know and also to the SPCA, PETA,and anyone else I could think of. That I would have pictures and vet records to back me up.

I left and went immediately to my vet. Luckily no worms, etc. However, she may have sarcoptic mange but the vet is not sure because no proof showed up in his test. However it is hard to test for it. She was given a shot and medicine with a return visit in 11 days.
So let me get this straight. guy took dog to vet, his vet made assumptions and started treatment. Guy boards dog with trainer, you go and steal the dog? I say steal here because in your own statement, YOUR vet isn't sure what's wrong with her, so what makes you think the owner or owner's vet knew either?

So how is it animal cruelty since the guy did get vet care for her? Yes I would be upset, but I think I would still contact the guy who actually owns her now and find out what's going on from the owner instead of listening to heresy or assumptions.

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 10:50 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BlackGSDHopefully the owner won't have you and the "trainer" thrown in jail for theft.
It happens...
http://www.prodoggroomingsupplies.co...ad.php?t=49517

Quote:
Quote:BRIDGEPORT — This Father's Day will be a poignant one for Nathan Bird. On Friday, the Norwalk man went to the Stratford animal control shelter to pick up his "child" — 2-year-old Drago, a German shepherd, after the woman who spirited the dog away for several months pleaded guilty in Superior Court.
Dawn Marie Pieger, 43, of West Broad Street, Stratford, pleaded guilty Friday before Superior Court Judge James P. Ginocchio to one count of fourth-degree larceny. She was sentenced to a one-year suspended term, followed by two years probation.
As a condition of the probation, the judge ordered Pieger to undergo psychiatric evaluation and treatment and not to have any contact with the dog or its owners.
As part of the plea bargain, Pieger also agreed to sign paperwork that would allow Nathan Bird to pick up his dog at the animal shelter. She had no comment at she left the Golden Hill Street courthouse.
On June 6, Stratford police raided Pieger's home and found Drago. Pieger had previously refused to disclose where she was keeping the dog, who was taken from its owners five months ago.
Since the dog's disappearance, the Birds received reports that it had been spotted in Germany, Canada and eastern Connecticut.
"It's been a long time coming, but the outcome we wanted all along has finally occurred," said Bird as he drove to pick up the dog. "I want to thank the prosecutor, Craig Nowak and Stratford Police Officer Kevin Lyman."
Pieger, owner of Von

Wymar German shepherds, is accused of taking the dog — formally named Drago Von Wymar — while the Birds were on vacation and refusing to tell them where the dog was. Bird and his wife bought Drago from Pieger for $1,300 in October 2006, and the breeder had offered to board the dog for free whenever they went away.
Bird also mentioned to Pieger that he intended to neuter Drago. On Jan. 15, Pieger agreed to board Drago while the Birds were vacationing in Costa Rica. But when they returned, Bird said Pieger would not return the dog or tell them where it was.
Police said when they confronted Pieger, she claimed the Birds had signed over ownership of the dog to her and produced a document purporting to have been signed by them. However, the Birds claim the signatures were not theirs.
Bird said Pieger appeared to be upset when the Birds discussed neutering the dog.
"We were seeking her counsel on whether to have the dog neutered," Bird said. "We still haven't made up our minds what is best for the dog and we will be seeking counsel on that, but you can be sure it won't be from Pieger," he added.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Update. The guy agreed he was not properly taking care of the dog and has waived all rights in a written statement he gave to the guy who called me. He agreed when the problem was getting worse and the infection was spreading he did not take the dog back for futher treament and had really left her with my friend because he didn't want to spend any more money taking her to the vet or on medicine and was hoping my friend would take her to the vet. My friend told me that confirmed his suspicions and was the reason he had called me.

Problem solved. Now to get her well.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Crowned Member

Well that's great that he waived his rights on the dog in writing, so whew!!!

Hopefully someone can find out what's wrong with her.

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Angela, it's probably the mange. The problem is that type is hard to 100% diagnose since the mites that cause it are microscopic and hard to detect. Whatever it is, the medicine and treatment will cure it.

I also put a clause in some sell contracts where I do not know the buyer or their reputation , and luckily had in this one, that I have the right to inspect and remove the dog if I determine the dog is not being treated as it should be. Can only do locally. I'm not going to let someone abuse a puppy I sell to them if I can stop it.

Luckily my friends know how I feel about my dogs and this one called me because he also felt the puppy was not getting proper care.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page