Know anything about these breeders? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Know anything about these breeders?

http://www.guardiangermanshepherds.com

http://www.ttsgermanshepherds.com

They are possiblities for breeders to work with in Michigan, anyone heard anything one way or the other, or see anything from looking at the sites one way or the other? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Know anything about these breeders?

TTS does not appear to work or title their dogs. They try to capitalize on famous dogs in the pedigree. That they list their dogs as traceable to Horand Grafrath is kind of funny since ALL GSDs are traceable to him one way or another.

Guardian also does not appear to work nor title their dogs. They also sell pups cheaper on limited than on full registration which is a red flag for me. A good breeder does not accept more money for breeding rights, a good breeder sells all pups on limited (except for extenuating circumstances) and lifts the limit to full registration upon working title and hip clearance.

Just by my quick glance on the website, I would pass on both.

If you're in Michigan, contact Chris Wild: http://www.wildhauskennels.com/ She is an admin on this board and is absolutely brimming with knowledge and experience in the breed. If you want working lines, you cannot go wrong with her. There are several puppy owners of her dogs on this board and they're all thrilled. Just offhand, some have their schutzhund titles and one is the #18 GSD in the country for agility.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Crowned Member

Hi, I'm in Michigan. What type of GSD are you looking for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 04:19 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

KJS3639, make sure you read the following sites so it will be easier to kind of weed out the best breeders from all those you may run into.

http://www.geocities.com/petsburgh/fair/1901/chart.html

http://www.dogplay.com/Breeding/ethics.html

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeder.html

And I agree with Chris Wild being a great breeder, but even more important then if you got a puppy from her, is if you go to her website. Cause it's an example of what I look for, not just talking about cash, not about tons of litters born each year. But about having a specific breeding goal. Keeping track of and being responsible for ALL her puppies no matter where they end up or how long ago, bragging about all of them, keeping tabs and caring about them. And all that's so she can see how the health and temperment of the dogs turn out, is her breeding program on track, where are the strengths, where are the weaknesses, how can it be improved................

Here's examples of the kinds of websites responsible breeders put up:

http://wildhauskennels.com/

http://www.wolfstraum.net/

http://www.adlerstein.com/

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Thanks Jenn and Diana, but at this point it looks like all pups in our upcoming litter are reserved and we won't have more pups until fall. Also, judging by a post by the OP in her other thread, we'd be outside her price range of $1000 or less. Unfortunately, the several other good breeders I can recommend in Michigan would also be outside that price range.

KJS3639,
I'm not familiar with either of the breeders you listed. Which isn't surprising as it looks like from the lack of titles on their breeding stock that they aren't involved in training or titling their dogs in any venue. IMO, to me this is a negative as I feel a breeder should be involved the breed beyond just owning them as pets and producing puppies. Though it is a good sign that they seem to OFA their breeding stock. I didn't spend much time on those websites, but just glancing at them overall I'd say not horrible, but not great either.

You may find this article helpful when it comes to determining what to look for in a breeder and how to tell a good breeder from a questionable one:

Finding a Good Breeder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 04:29 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:we'd be outside her price range of $1000 or less.
OP, you will be VERY hard pressed to find quality GSDs at that price range. For the most part, they start at $1000 and usually for the working lines. This is not a cheap breed, unfortunately, and often when you see a cheaper price, you do pay for what you get, so be careful. Have you considered breed rescue?

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Crowned Member

I know nothing about buying from a breeder but I have adopted puppies and adult dogs and think that a young adult rescue who has been tested (or lives with) small dogs might be ideal for your situation. I adopted a 1 yo last year and he is excellent with my 16yo cat and older dog. His foster home had cats and another dog so I was able to see for myself that he was good with smaller animals.

It seems that quite a few nice dogs come through the Michigan rescues.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

I would second the recommendation to check out rescue!

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Crowned Member

I glanced at these quickly, the TTS site has some info that is blatantly incorrect on it right off the bat.

They list a dog as a "VA1" who has only a BH! I met this dog a few times, he is not titled to my knowledge, and certainly not VA rated....

Lines are really a mix up of stuff...all the red flags that everyone else has already brought up.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 05:12 PM

Yes there are currently some gorgeous dogs in the Urgent section up north!!

~Kaleef's Pepper Grace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page