Pop Quiz: Show Quality versus Pet Quality - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Pop Quiz: Show Quality versus Pet Quality

Pop quiz for the reputable breeders of this board....

Give a brief synopsis of yourself (e.g. We have three show bitches and have been breeding for X years...)

1. In each litter, how many puppies do you think/sell as "show quality puppies"?

2. Is there ever a time when every puppy in one litter is "show quality" and sold as such?

3. Is there ever a time when every puppy in one litter is "pet quality" only and sold as such?

I had someone tell me today that their "entire litter" (of 8 dogs) are all "show quality" as she had a friend of hers come over and look at them.

- Shel

Handmade puppy and dog toys - Free Shipping
100% Proceeds to animal rescues -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- PICS NOW UP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Pop Quiz: Show Quality versus Pet Quality

Not a breeder but I do show my dogs and I guess when I am looking for a puppy I don't really care of the litter is "show quality" because unless there is an obvious fault they ALL are "show quality". I can show my scrawny fine boned working line bitch in the AKC ring, UKC ring, and Sieger ring and no one can stop me or point out any automatically disqualifying faults. So what does "show quality" even mean? I think it's more important that the buyer communicates to the breeder what they intend for the dog. Just showing a dog is a lot different than aspiring to having a HOT-dog achieving a VA rating (or an AKC show dog showing every weekend but never getting any big wins vs. being a CH and ROM).
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:16 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: SouthernThistle
I had someone tell me today that their "entire litter" (of 8 dogs) are all "show quality" as she had a friend of hers come over and look at them.
Since "show quality" simply means there are no disqualifing faults I would say that is possible.

COULD the dog be shown? Sure. WILL the dog win? That's a whole 'nother subject!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The Gang
COULD the dog be shown? Sure. WILL the dog win? That's a whole 'nother subject!
Sure, and so much of it depends on the judge. Nikon has shown against the same dog 4 times now. Nikon is west German show lines, other dog is very much the trendy American line. Nikon beat him twice, he beat Nikon twice (each having one win in AKC and one win in UKC).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 12:06 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

I have been involved with German Shepherds for 40+ years. My mom has been breeding GSD's since the late 1960's, and I grew up in the sport. I have finished 8 champions over 3 generations. I don't have a kennel, and all of my dogs are house dogs with outside time. I have also trained dogs to many AKC performance titles -- one Utility Dog, 4 CDX titles, 6 CD titles, as well as titles in herding, agility, and rally. In 2004, I had the #2 GSD show dog in AKC, and he went on to win an Award of Merit at Westminsteer KC in 2005.

The only show home I ever worried about was mine. I do my breedings based on what I want for myself, and then I find the best homes I can for the rest of the puppies. I generally have more performance people wanting dogs from me than show people, so I try to match them up with the best puppy for their desires, regardless of whether I believe the pup could be a good show dog or not. I have tended to be disappointed when I sell a pup as a show prospect -- not becasue of the puppy, but the owners generally fail to follow thru with the commitment needed to show a dog to its championship.

I have never had a litter where I felt all of the puppies were show quality. And I have had litters where I didn't find what I was looking for either. It happens even with the best laid plans.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 08:58 PM

i don't believe you can look at a young puppy and say, "Oh this is show quality or breeding stock." because you just can't tell from a puppy. but i am not a breeder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page