"I want a protective dog" ??? Discussion - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

"I want a protective dog" ??? Discussion

I've heard this countless times from people wanting to buy a german shepherd.
It seems increasingly lately I hear it more and more. Is it the times we live in? status symbol? feeling of security? fear someone may hurt/take their children?
And I always wonder what exactly do they (potential puppy buyers) mean? They commonly misuse the term "aggression" when they really mean "confident" and I clear them up on that. Are people really looking for a dog that will bite, bark, alert ....I know I ask them what they really mean .. and tell them if they TRULY want a PP Personal Protection Trained dog that is a whole nother thing.

What are your thoughts on this subject.. it has come up in nearly every call or email I get. Have gsds changed so much that they have become "Lab" or "Golden' Like - too friendly to even bark, alert or be aloof? maybe that's it people just see way too many gsds now that won't protect if need be or at least make somebody think twice about getting out of their car and approaching the door unannounced.
Thought this might make a good discussion.
I know that my sweetest female , whom I never thought would be protective proved my very wrong and I was quite pleased and impressed when I saw her take charge, wow!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Wonderful companions with the potential for so much more."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Crowned Member

Re: "I want a protective dog" ??? Discussion

Honestly I never really have a response for these people. I feel like it's MY job to protect my dogs, not the other way around. If I want protection, I'll call ADT. I just roll my eyes and walk away....

I guess if I were a breeder, I would not sell pups to people that wanted a dog as some kind of guard dog or attack dog and didn't know a thing about what happens when a big dog gets really reactive and the owner never sets any boundaries (thing Congo). If I were a buyer, I'd steer clear of breeders selling their dogs saying they will "protect me".
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Elite Member

I would rather trust a Shepherds natural instinct to protect me rather than to train the wrong way and end up in court facing a judge for dog biting.

RAMSEY 10/07

Mark.o
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Crowned Member

Great idea for discussion. Rocky is the first GSD I have had since I was little and I dont remember those pups. IMO when people think of GSD's they think protection dog. It is kind of built into the sub-conscious, alot of police and military dogs are GSD, so I think it gives them a "status symbol" of being protective. I dont think that most people are aware that GSD are naturally protective and IMO most average people dont need more than that.

DH theory on this is, Rocky is a family member, friend, and companion. If someone were to break into our house with the intention of harming or killing us that Rocky would protect us with our any regard for his own safety. He is probably right.

Danielle

Mom to:
Rocky - 3 year old Black GSD
3 Skin Kids
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: markstevenI would rather trust a Shepherds natural instinct to protect me rather than to train the wrong way and end up in court facing a judge for dog biting.
Your prerogative, but as someone who was bit in the face by an untrained GSD allowed to live off its instincts, I agree to disagree.

Besides, how are these dogs truly tested without training and trialing? Do you have someone put on a big suit and hat and come over to hit your dog with a stick and scream in his face? No. I'm fine with dogs alerting but personally I cannot claim to know that my dogs would 100% protect me if someone was really assaulting us, and I don't care to ever test them or find out. I am not aware of any SchH dogs that I know ever attacking someone outside of controlled bitework in training or trial. I AM aware of several GSDs with no or little training of any kind that have bitten or attacked people including myself.
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 10:08 AM

The GSD breed is well-rounded, intelligent, and confident in its ability to serve in a capacity of a 'job'. I think it can be said that different GSDs have different 'jobs' and that jobs well-suited for GSDs are widespread. Certainly, one of these jobs that GSds have been known for includes being a protective dog. I for one must argue that protective instincts in GSDs are not controlled, (I,too, was badly bitten by a GSD as a kid), but to take these instincts and train a GSD properly to act upon these instincts is what most people are probably counting on. The problem comes with 'proper' training. Do most people who come across wanting a GSD for protective purposes participate in proper training? I don't think so.
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Elite Member

I guess if you have a True working dog or live in an area where you fear attack O.K , but for my house pet i think i or we dont need bite sleeve,s suits or protection training. thats why i bought a S&W.

RAMSEY 10/07

Mark.o
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Elite Member

mark I agree with the natural instinct
Jack on 2 occassions has shown that,,,, did not like 2 people

I did not get A GSD for protection....Because if someone breaks in they could easily shoot the dog or poision it. Also any dog can bark when someone comes to the door. I have him Because of the beauty, intelligence grace of movement and I just like them overall... they are
so much more then just a lame ordinary dog.....

KATHY
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: markstevenI guess if you have a True working dog or live in an area where you fear attack O.K , but for my house pet i think i or we dont need bite sleeve,s suits or protection training. thats why i bought a S&W.
Then I guess I'm not clear on your point....SchH is not "attack dog" training, I don't go to SchH so I have a dog that will guard me and my house. It's a sport. Someone walks into my home and my friendly dogs greet them, my reserved dog stays put on her dog bed and couldn't care less. I would not expect anything different, SchH training or not. It seems you are assuming people train in SchH for protection dogs? That's incorrect. PPD training is an entirely different ballgame, so to speak.
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Crowned Member

Kathy, you are correct. I know of a GSD that was shot to death by a home intruder. The GSD attacked the intruder, was shot and killed.

If someone wants to come in and steal my stuff, I'd rather have my dogs back off. All my stuff is not worthy one of my dogs' lives. Again if I need home protection, I'll get an ADT system. An intruder can come in, tell my dogs to shoo or toss a flank of meat and take my stuff. That's what insurance is for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page