Kennel surface - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Kennel surface

I didn't know which forum to place this, please move if needed. I figured breeders would be more knowledgable than general pet owners as breeders have kennel/runs and know what is best for the ground.
We are thinking of building an outdoor run/kennel for the dogs when the weather turns to mud instead of this clean snow we are so use to! The place we have chosen is an area that is completely shaded/NW corner and in an L of our house. There would be a door to access it from inside the house. They would only be out there for a short time to do their business early am. and late pm or if we had to put them somewhere, because of company, ect.
Right now, there is river rock in this area. Would we remove it or could we put down a thick layer of pea gravel to cover the 2 inch size river rock. It has been there at least 15 yrs and is pretty deep/embedded. Opinions are appreciated!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Master Member

Re: Kennel surface

I don't know from experience or anything but that sounds to me like the perfect base to put the gravel over. I would think it would pack down very nicely

Rambo the annihilator (Chihuahua) Born 11/28/2008

RIP
Lord Baron von Stowcreek (GSD) 12/3/07-5/30/10
Murphy (chocolate lab)
Champ (black lab)
Trixie (shep mix)
Princess (malamute/shep mix)
Ponch (white GSD)
Mork (Daschund mix)
Shane (shep mix)
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Pea gravel doesn't pack. It remains loose and sifty permanently. Which makes for good drainage, but is a bit trickier to sanitize, and also likely to scatter all over the place as the dogs run around and dig in it.

IMO, sealed concrete or patio pavers are the best in terms of keeping dogs clean and being easy clean up. But pea gravel is a great 2nd choice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 10:52 PM
Master Member

Is it true that dogs kept on concrete causes problems with their joints or is that a urban legend

RIP
Murphy (chocolate lab)
Champ (black lab)
Trixie (shep mix)
Ponch (white GSD)
Mork (Daschund mix)
Shane (shep mix)
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

My dogs wouldn't be out there long enough to get a joint problem! I think if a dog had a cot to lay on and weren't kenneled at long stretches there should be no problems w/joints.
I think we may go w/ the pea gravel as removing the river rock would be so time consuming maybe put a screen around the outsidebottom of the fencing to keep in the small stuff. And then there would be river rock around the outside of the fence before it blends in w/ the lawn.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Knighted Member

I definitely think concrete is worth it. I have pea gravel, hate it! I have to bleach/water spray it, rake it. If you get a digger, they will dig down through it. I even had put wire deep under the run itself, still pulled it up. Plus if they get running, it sprays all over. I didn't kennel my dogs on it fulltime at all and they still did some damage to it.

Concrete is easy to clean and maintain.

Trish Campbell

SG Harley v Triton BH,AD,T-1,RN,CGC,HIC,HOT
VP Myth v Triton BH,TT, CGC, Branka SchH3, KKL-2
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Maybe we'll go that route, my DH great friend drives a concrete truck, we could get some leftovers!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: onyx'girlMy dogs wouldn't be out there long enough to get a joint problem!
Oh I understand that but I was wondering if you guys ever heard about a conection to keeping dogs on concrete and arthritus. I mean it would be super easy to clean but I never considered it because I had always heard about the joint thing. Not just with Sheps but any dog. Maybe its just a myth.

RIP
Murphy (chocolate lab)
Champ (black lab)
Trixie (shep mix)
Ponch (white GSD)
Mork (Daschund mix)
Shane (shep mix)
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 10:35 PM

I use fake wood like the kind used on piers. Easy to clean and easy on the dogs.

Pack leader for Heide, Chazz, Izabella, and Ivan.

At the Bridge: Chico and Atja
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Crowned Member

We have wood as a base in the barn/kennel building.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page