prey drive and pet homes? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

prey drive and pet homes?

Have any of you, as breeders, ever comfortably placed a dog with relatively high prey drive as 5-8 week old puppy in a non-working home?

If so, what other factors about the puppy and the home you placed it in played a role in your decision?

Cruiser ~ Brix ~ Ferra ~ Ginte ~ Bacardi
Kira ~ Gitta ~ Maik ~ Amalka ~ Hety ~ Taz
Rudy ~ Ari ~ Dami

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Crowned Member

Re: prey drive and pet homes?

most reputable breeders won't place a puppy in a home younger then eight weeks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

No no, I apologize, I meant a puppy that SHOWED the drive at that age.

Cruiser ~ Brix ~ Ferra ~ Ginte ~ Bacardi
Kira ~ Gitta ~ Maik ~ Amalka ~ Hety ~ Taz
Rudy ~ Ari ~ Dami

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Crowned Member

not an issue if the buyer understands what they are getting and what they need to do to take care of them

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 06:29 PM

they probably wouldnt place him in a home with small animals (cats, ferrets ect..)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Master Member

why not?
Lots of Breeders on the forum have cats, they socialize their working line pups with cats, plenty go on to live with cats. Really it's a matter of training, a high drive dog may always want to get a cat, but trained right will never actually do anything a cat... (granted not always the case, but they can co-exist).

I plan to get my working lines pup hopefully next year since this year isn't going to work out and I have 4 indoor cats as well as 4 barn cats and lots of chickens. Am I worried? No. Do I realize I will be training lots of focus on me, ignore and leave it with my new pup? Of course!

Allie, LVT
Cowgirl to a barn full of critters and house full of farm dogs (or so they think)
Bella GSD
Eagle vom Kleinen Hain 3/8/2009

RIP Juno Feb 2007-July 2, 2009 Forever in my heart
BDBH Intake Coordinator
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 07:00 PM
Master Member

Little kids are always my concern if the puppy exhibits alot of prey drive and/or dominance. No matter what puppy I help them choose, I make sure they are fully prepared for the type of dog they are getting into. So much about a dog cannot be see at 8 weeks, the rambuncousness has really yet to begin at that age. I almost always turn away homes where both parents work full time jobs and they have young kids, who will soon have Mom and Dad hopping from sports practices and such....in most instances there is simply no time for a young working line GSD in that picture.

As long as the owner understands what they are potentially gettign into, has the time, and mindset to properly channel the young pups energy...usually not a problem.

There is a big difference between prey drive and nervous energy or the inability to settle. BIG difference. All my dogs have a ton of prey drive. They would chase a ball all day long unti their heart exploded. I chose the Bengal breed of cat as the cat to have around here for a reason..they don't run from dogs, unless they enjoy the chase...darn it, my cat does. BAD cat.
Anyway, my dogs all have HIGH prey/toy drive. Yet, all my kennels are snowed in. Due to sex/dominance/age issues my dogs are rotated between crate time and house time until this snow melts. They are content. Not climbing the walls, not spinning or barking thier heads off. And exercise is limited due to a large icy yard. Just because a dog has high prey drive, does not mean they cannot be peaceful in the house. And I have a 12 wk old, two 9 mo olds, a 7 yr old, and an almost 9 yr old.

It is going to be a long remainder of the winter...but we'll do fine..we always do. I love my good dogs!! Even though I have no doubt they are plotting something awful for me due to so much inactivity right now.....not my fault guys!

Kandi
Rokanhaus German Shepherds

Canaan CT
"Some Dogs come with a Pedigree, Others Come with a Legacy"
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 07:06 PM

I agree with Phay,,I have 5 indoor cats,,have 2 aussies (one who is VERY prey driven,,she'd chase a bird to canada if I let her) and 2 gsd's..

My existing dogs have always been fine with the cats ,,my recent addition , 10 mth old Masi, who is working lines,,well, she does love tormenting my cats,,who give it right back to her and by nightime she is Sleeping with ALL of them! )

Not a breeder here,,but as to the OP's question if I was,,,there are alot of people who want an active puppy because they have active lifestyles outside of showing/working etc...When I did home eval's for rescue,,the one factor in my mind was "would I put one of MY dogs into this home?" That would be the deciding factor if I were a breeder as well..

Now if it's someone/family looking for a couch potatoe and I had this high drive puppy , no way no how )

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, once. The puppy went into a home with 5 children, 4 of them quadruplets, all kids under the age of 10. Parents wanted something that could keep up with the children.

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Sure, we've done it several times and with good results. There are many pet homes that have the knowledge, experience or just plain good "dog sense" for such a dog and who are up to the task of managing a high drive dog and ensuring it gets the physical exercise and mental stimulation it needs. And there are many who are not. It all depends on the home and the people involved.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page