Ears and guarantee - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Ears and guarantee

Just wondering a few things.

Do you guarantee that the pups ears will stand? If not replacement pup or discount?

Do you guarantee the pups ear will stand, but if not up at a certain age require the owner to tape ears?

Val

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to mkennels Send a message via Yahoo to mkennels
Re: Ears and guarantee

I don't do that at all, never had a pup that their ears didn't stand but there is no gentic test to prove that non standing ears come from parents plus you don't know how the pup was raised, could have hurt it's ears and never stand, there is several things that could make an ear not stand that is nothing caused by the breeder, now if parents isn't up then unless it was an accident chances are pups ears won't stand by what I heard

Janet
UKC CH Mystical Talyn D'Argo, TT, OFA H/E, CERF, AKC DNA
UKC CH Gretchen Julika Little Star, TT, OFA, Cerf, AKC DNA
Von Hornberger's Mystical Knight, TT, CERF, AKC DNA, OFA
Ranita's Heavenly Angel R.I.P 9/15/07-10/15/08

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Crowned Member

I have had someone worried about it, so I wrote in the contract that if the ears did not stand, I would replace the puppy.

When the pup was not quite four months old, the owner called and told me the dog is everything he wants. He does not want another puppy, he is afraid they will not stand.

So I went over with an experienced friend to glue them.

The pup had them standing in a perfect triangular canopy over his head. My friend and I both believed the ears would definitely stand on their own, but we glued them to give the guy peace of mind. He has not called back yet. Pups will be six months old in February and I will be calling him then.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I was just wondering. I have 4 GSD's three I got as pups, no ear guarantee, but all have ears up. I don't and will never tape, so if in the future I end up with a flop ear so be it, it will never be bred.

I give lots of good things to chew on before, during and after teething. I do mess with my pups ears, they get ear massages. If I have a pup with an ear infection I try to clean and do meds without flipping their ear back, that is really the only precaution I take with ears. well the other thing I do is watch interaction between pup and big dogs.

I just see some strange things in contracts so I thought I would see what is normal.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 09:11 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

We guarantee ears (and testicles and teeth and basically that the dog will meet the FCI standard) but only on pups sold as potential breeding prospects (which is pretty uncommon as most people don't by a pup if they're serious about breeding). Thought being, none of that has any bearing on the pup's ability to be a pet or sport/work/service dog, but of course would disqualify the dog for breeding.

We've never had soft ears or missing teeth or testicles in any of our litters so up until this point it hasn't been an issue. But of course that doesn't mean it will never happen.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:13 PM
Elite Member

My breeder said that if my pups ears dont stand within a certain age, the pup gets spayed or neutered, and i get a new pup.

Jessica
Annie- 3 yo GSD
Beowulf- 1 yo GSD
Highplains Christmas Shimmer- Noel
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:16 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Emjworks05My breeder said that if my pups ears dont stand within a certain age, the pup gets spayed or neutered, and i get a new pup.
would you want a new pup? I couldn't imagine doing that.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Elite Member

No, I couldn't do that. Now if i got the pup spayed or neutered and got to keep him/her and got a replacement pup then yeah i would opt to take the new pup too.

Jessica
Annie- 3 yo GSD
Beowulf- 1 yo GSD
Highplains Christmas Shimmer- Noel
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Knighted Member

As a purchaser, I would like that guarantee. What that says to me is that the breeder is not breeding dogs with soft ears and will stand behind his/her dogs. I would also like the offer of helping me if the ears do not stand.

After bonding with my puppy I would not return her because of soft ears, because she is my pet (and she does have have one that is leaning at 7 mths). If I bought her for breeding then this would be an issue and I would look for a discount.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 01:05 AM
Crowned Member

soft ears are genetic. If you are buying a puppy for breeding purposes, and it has soft ears, then you do not want to breed the dog. You may need to buy another dog for your breeding program.

If you are a breeder, you may find it necessary to sell some of your older dogs, and some dogs that did not work out for one reason or another as young adults. Otherwise, you go from breeder to hoarder.

Right now I have two I SHOULD sell and will never breed, but I cannot do it.

I guess I would rather someone get another pup and speuter or return the first pup rather than breed the flaw.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page