Colors............ - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Colors............

Just wondered something about the color of GSDs.

If you breed a WGSD to a WGSD, will you get WGSD pups + can throw bk/tan ? The whole litter wouldn't be white ? I know any breeding can throw a WGSD pup, correct ?

Same with the all black, what if you breed a solid bk to a solid bk ? I have seen most bk breedings be the sire or the dam all bk & the other bk/tan or heavy blanket.

Just wondered, THANKS..............

~Jen~

Sable~ GSD NJP, OJP, NAP, NAJ, NA, TN-N, NAC, NJC, CGC
Shadow~ BGSD *Adopted* RN, CGC
Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Re: Colors............

Oh btw, not trying to breed or anything, all of ours are fixed.

My sisters BF is looking for a all white pup & told them, that will be hard b/c most don't breed for whites.

~Jen~

Sable~ GSD NJP, OJP, NAP, NAJ, NA, TN-N, NAC, NJC, CGC
Shadow~ BGSD *Adopted* RN, CGC
Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Crowned Member

We'll see if I have this rigt!!

Both black and white are recessive genes so in order to be black or white the dog would have received 2 of that gene.

If you breed black to black or white to white, both parents being black or white, there are only those genes to pass on to the pups - so all will be the color of the parents.

while I wait to see if I have it right

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 11:27 PM
Crowned Member

Dogs have 2 color genes. An expressed one and a recessive. ?wo sables can produce blacks if both parents have a black recessive, pretty common actually.

Blacks have 2 black genes. All their pups will get a black gene from them. Breeding 2 blacks will give you only blacks. White is a masking gene, so you can get any color depending on what gene they have.

To get blacks from a black and non black, the non blackwill have to have a black recessive. My female Csabre is sable, her sire black, so she has a black recessive as the only gene should could get was black. Breeding her to a black will let me get blacks and sables.

There is a separate database option for WGSDs at the pedigreedatabase. there are lots of ads, so check there for a whitel

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 02:58 AM
Elite Member

Has he thought of checking out the rescues? There are even some rescues that are dedicated to the WGSD.

I see you're in OH and this one's in WI

http://www.whitepawsgsr.com/

but maybe they can help you find a WGSD rescue in you are or maybe like like to travel <g>

Deb • Riley & Nissa
Rainbow Bridge • Damien Katy Crocket Kayla Gypsy Toby

German Shepherd Dog Blog

• web sites for Rescues, Shelters and Pets
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 08:31 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to mkennels Send a message via Yahoo to mkennels

there is alot of wgsd breeders out there, some good ones too that title their dogs and do all the health testing, but not all dogs will throw whites, white have to be in both parents to get white, I have 3 dogs here and white is not in their pedigree but all 3 carry black, my female which is getting spayed soon has produced a solid black but neither parents is black, my one boy is black/tan lc he produces some amazing blacks and the solid black in him is 3/4 gen. back, and my newest boy his sire is solid black but he is black/tan and I don't know what he will produce yet,

Janet
UKC CH Mystical Talyn D'Argo, TT, OFA H/E, CERF, AKC DNA
UKC CH Gretchen Julika Little Star, TT, OFA, Cerf, AKC DNA
Von Hornberger's Mystical Knight, TT, CERF, AKC DNA, OFA
Ranita's Heavenly Angel R.I.P 9/15/07-10/15/08

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 09:06 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Black bred to black will produce ONLY black.

White bred to white will produce ONLY white.

Black bred to a different color will produce some colored like the non-black parent, and may produce other colors depending on what recessive the non-black parent carries. If that recessive is black, the litter will produce some blacks.

White bred to a different color can produce any color. It will only produce white pups if the non-white parent also carries the recessive for white masking.

Two non-whites can produce white if each carries a copy of the recessive for white masking. This is pretty uncommon though, and is most likely to occur in BYB breedings of dogs of mixed bloodlines.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Elite Member

I don't know if German Shepherds have similar colour genes as Belgian Sheepdogs but 2 black long coats with generations of same can produce a Terv, (red Belgian), which Terv being recessive then should have same rules. Two Tervs generations of same should produce all Tervs but they sometimes throw blacks. Then we add in short coats, Mals throwing long coats and sometimes blacks.
So colour can be a difficult thing and I know that in Belgians there have been tons of genetic testing and marking to explain this. Apparently there are recessive black and dominant black and so things happen.

Just thought I'd throw out some new info and ideas, so if in someone's litter of 2 blacks they get a black adn tan don't panic it could happen.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: trudyJust thought I'd throw out some new info and ideas, so if in someone's litter of 2 blacks they get a black adn tan don't panic it could happen.
If the parents threw black, they might be able to throw black and tan, depends on what colors the parents are. BUT if you're trying to say black and black you can get black/tan???? Doesn't work that way in GSD's. Black+Black=Black.

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 05:52 PM
Elite Member

I didn't know if it was the same or not, In the US all varieties of Belgians are separate breeds and every other country they are one breed with varieties, and when blacks in the US throw reds they are registered as the birth variety, Belgian Sheepdog, which doesn't come as red so they try to sell promising ones to other countries. It is interesting to read the genetic breakdown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page