Question for the breeders. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Question for the breeders.

I contacted a breeder that I hope to get a pup from, she had pups due 1/25/09 and put me on her list. She told me she doesn't take deposits until she knows if she'll have a pup for me or not, I am third on the list for a male. She told me that she would let me know if and when she has a pup for me, but my husband thinks I should call her to make sure she knows I am serious. I kind of feel that way too but then again I am sure she is busy either getting things ready or taking care of the new mom/pups. So when do you normally contact interested puppy buyers to let them know the litter has arrived? Thanks in advance! (Can you tell I'm excited?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Re: Question for the breeders.

Mine normally get emails throughout the whelping.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Crowned Member

Does she mean she doesn't take deposits until after they are BORN or until she knows what their temperments are like? (Reason I ask is just because there are 3 or more males in the litter, doesn't necessarily mean there will be one that matches what YOU are looking for.)

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted By: lhczthMine normally get emails throughout the whelping.
Same here. And then a final report once whelping is over, and weekly updates with photos.

To the OP, I'd say contact her and make sure she knows of your interest and also get clarification on what she means about "having a pup for you". As Tracy said, it's a good idea to know what exactly she means. Did she interview you and get a good idea of your experience, goals and what you are looking for in a pup so that she can determine if there is one who will be a good match for you in terms of personality?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to mkennels Send a message via Yahoo to mkennels

I email when the dog has bred, when I know she is pregnant and how she is doing with photos of how big she is getting, then I email every chance I get inbetween pups then I send out single photos and a group photo of the pups as well the day she has them, then I give weekly photo updates on the pups on how they are doing, how much they weigh and indi. photos of the pups, then I tell them everything when they get dewormed, when they got shots, when they start opening their eyes it is like they are there with me throughout the whole thing until they get theirs

Janet
UKC CH Mystical Talyn D'Argo, TT, OFA H/E, CERF, AKC DNA
UKC CH Gretchen Julika Little Star, TT, OFA, Cerf, AKC DNA
Von Hornberger's Mystical Knight, TT, CERF, AKC DNA, OFA
Ranita's Heavenly Angel R.I.P 9/15/07-10/15/08

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 05:25 PM
Master Member

I can understand that maybe the breeder is concerned if she does not get enough males, she may not want to get your hopes up until they are born and she knows exactly what she has. If I am expecting a smaller litter, I take deposits for a few, and keep everyone else on stand by. When the litter is born, then I contact them to let them know if a puppy available or not. Of course as newborns, it is not certain by any means WHICH puppy. I would not hesitate to contact her and ask for updates, it does help show you are VERY interested and eager and chances are she will appreciate your excitement.

Kandi
Rokanhaus German Shepherds

Canaan CT
"Some Dogs come with a Pedigree, Others Come with a Legacy"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

When I spoke to the breeder I did tell her that I was strictly looking for a family companion pup with an excellent temperament, preferably red/black plush coat. I also let her know that I have never had a German Shepherd before.
I think she was probably thinking along the lines of what Kandi said above about not wanting to get my hopes up. Thank you for your help, I will contact her tomorrow.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Well I contacted the breeder and the pups were born yesterday 2 males and 3 females. Since there were two people on the list for males before me, I am back to looking for a breeder. I know I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up, but I did so I am pretty disappointed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page