Opinions/Questions on limited registration - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to GranvilleGSD
Opinions/Questions on limited registration

First, let me say I am all for limited registration.

Now my question is, should you sell ALL pups on limited with the option of lifting the restriction if the pup proves to be breeding worthy? (ie; titles, health clearances, etc.)

If a pup is showing great potential and going home with an owner that is active in training, showing, etc., do you sell on full instead? Do you add stipulations to your sales contract?

Can a dog with limited reg. be shown in conformation? I know that they can't register littters produced by these dogs. I guess I may be a little confused in this area, since usually breeders who sell on limited also require a spay/neuter by a certain age.

What do you breeders usually do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Opinions/Questions on limited registration

Quote:
Originally Posted By: shepherdmom12
Can a dog with limited reg. be shown in conformation?
I don't believe so. (But I could be wrong.)

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to mkennels Send a message via Yahoo to mkennels

no a dog on limited reg. can not be shown in conformation, that is to determine (or suppose to be) the best breeding dogs, the ones that meet or is very close to the standard, ones that is fixed can not or should not be shown, that isn't saying that some people fix and still show (I know of a few that do that)

now i sell very very few on breeding contracts but no one can be bred before age of 2 (or my guar. is void) and have health testing done at least, ones that is breeding is ones that is planning on doing something with them instead of just only a family pet.

i sell my pets on spay/neuter contracts and they do not get akc or ukc papers until proof has been sent to me showing their pet is spayed/neutered

Janet
UKC CH Mystical Talyn D'Argo, TT, OFA H/E, CERF, AKC DNA
UKC CH Gretchen Julika Little Star, TT, OFA, Cerf, AKC DNA
Von Hornberger's Mystical Knight, TT, CERF, AKC DNA, OFA
Ranita's Heavenly Angel R.I.P 9/15/07-10/15/08

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Our typical policy is that all pups go out on limited registration, with stipulations that we will upgrade to full registration upon proof of title, hip/elbow certs, etc.... All very carefully spelled out in the contract.

However, as with most things, that's not absolutely set in stone and there are cases where we'd agree to full registration on a pup. So far the only time we've done this was with pups being exported to another country who's kennel club required it.

But if someone wanted to show in conformation (Limited DOES exclude the dog from conformation showing in AKC), or had other solid reasons for wanting full registration, we'd discuss it and may be able to work out an arrangement. Though I'd only be inclined to do this if it was someone I knew, who's intergrity and dedication to the breed was sound, and who had a great deal of experience and knowledge about the breed. In other words, someone I could be certain was not going to be irresponsibly breeding the dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Chris WildOur typical policy is that all pups go out on limited registration, with stipulations that we will upgrade to full registration upon proof of title, hip/elbow certs, etc.... All very carefully spelled out in the contract.

However, as with most things, that's not absolutely set in stone and there are cases where we'd agree to full registration on a pup. So far the only time we've done this was with pups being exported to another country who's kennel club required it.

But if someone wanted to show in conformation (Limited DOES exclude the dog from conformation showing in AKC), or had other solid reasons for wanting full registration, we'd discuss it and may be able to work out an arrangement. Though I'd only be inclined to do this if it was someone I knew, who's intergrity and dedication to the breed was sound, and who had a great deal of experience and knowledge about the breed. In other words, someone I could be certain was not going to be irresponsibly breeding the dog.
<span style="color: #3333FF"> </span> <span style='font-size: 11pt'>This is my policy as well. I have revised my contract to suit a high level agility person, and others. Nothing is black and white or set in stone. I usually sell all my puppies on limited registration, but have made exceptions for those I feel comfortable with.</span>

Kandi
Rokanhaus German Shepherds

Canaan CT
"Some Dogs come with a Pedigree, Others Come with a Legacy"
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Crowned Member

I sell all pups on limited. Period. EXCEPT to Canada, where I would have a non-breeding contract in place with same conditions as my "Release from Limited". As with most concerned hobby breeders, I release limited on proof of hips/elbows and titles. Selling to people with like philosophies on breeding practices and quality, it is not usually an issue.

A few years ago, I arranged to sell one of "my" E litter pups born in Belgium, thus exempt as she came in with LOSH papers, and the new owner agreed with the titling and hip clearances. Now, a Schh1, KKL female, I am very happy to say that she will be bred in the next week or two to a WUSV/BSP male.

I do not require spay/neuter, and in fact, recommend that the animal is allowed to attain physical maturity prior to these procedures.

In AKC, a dog cannot be shown in the conformation ring with limited registration. Since I have European working lines, this is basically a moot point - I have only seen one or two who might get looked at in all-breed AKC shows, and none in Specialities. ***IF*** this were a possibility, I would work something out contractually.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 04:05 PM
Crowned Member

I won't speak for my breeder b/c I know she treats each dog individually so others' agreements/contracts will not be the same as mine, but both of my dogs are fully registered and came to be that way (Kenya was spayed when I got her though, not that I had any intention of doing conformation or breeding her, and her registration was transferred to me. The breeder gave me a paper for Nikon which took forever b/c his sire is in Germany and not AKC and then I registered him myself). I have already shown my puppy in UKC and AKC and will also show him in the Sieger style rings (WDA show in March, the USA Sieger show in April...).

I have no problem with breeders selling dogs intended to be pets/companions on limited reg.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Elite Member

Djibouti was sold with limited registration. IF I wanted to breed him, I could get the health clearances & discuss it further with his breeder. IF she felt he shouldn't be bred, then end of discussion. IF she felt *I* shouldn't be breeding him that would also be the end of discussion. Under no circumstances does she 'owe' me full registration.

I didn't go into much detail with her on this b/c I don't want to breed, which I'm even more certain of with the passage of time.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 04:55 PM

I also sell on limited registration, until working requirements and hip certification is met. The only way I have decided to be able to allow full registration, because of the buyers stated intent to enter ACK conformation showings, was to sell in a co-ownership status. That would prevent them from registering litters from unproven parents (because both owners have to sign off on it), yet retain "full registration" status required for show. No one's ever accepted the offered agreement (no surprise there) but it left them an option anyway. Conformation is not a primary focus in my program, so they are perhaps better off finding another breeder, or getting a working title prior to showing. I couldn't spot the flaw in a kkl2 if I wanted to, yet seen many a kkl1 eyesore!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 05:54 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

I sell all non-show puppies on a limited registration, which can be lifted with testing and performance titles. If it is a show prospect, then it is sold on a co-ownership with the same requirements for outright ownership.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page