Safe distance for Bitch and dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Safe distance for Bitch and dog

Just quick question for those that have studs and bitches on site, to keep the dog from going nuts and overly aggressive how far apart do you keep them? I got a female in heat right now and my NUETERED male is going nuts and being a whining PITA. last year much to my surprise they tied and it took and ER visit to get his transmission put back in place. Do I need to make another kennel on the other side of the yard?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 12:31 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Safe distance for Bitch and dog

Quote:
Originally Posted By: MaxGunnarlast year much to my surprise they tied and it took and ER visit to get his transmission put back in place.
I'm sorry Max but that is just plain funny the way you put it. Can you put the girl in the house in a crate with a pad lock?

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 12:34 PM
Crowned Member

As Hardy "normally" gets pretty loud (last female he didn't make a peep, snuck one in on me). I have 2 females in season now. He's in a crate in the house, girls are in a kennel with a top on them. Nice and quiet.

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

She's just as bad as he is and will go out of her way to get a mating response out of him. I'd have to crate them both. the problem is, are they whining because they need to go potty, want something yummy, thirsty or just have that urge to merge?

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Angela_WAs Hardy "normally" gets pretty loud (last female he didn't make a peep, snuck one in on me). I have 2 females in season now. He's in a crate in the house, girls are in a kennel with a top on them. Nice and quiet.

so the more distance the better

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

We've never needed to go to great lengths for separation. When the female in heat is loose in the house or outside in the yard, the males are crated, and vice versa. When males and females both are crated, they're crated in the same room and we've never had a ruckus. But our males have typically never been the kind to go absolutely stupid over bitches in heat.

I have a friend where crate+kennel+fence+garage wall wasn't enough. Male tore through a chain link kennel, then through a fence around the kennel, through the side of his garage (siding, sheething, insulation and all), busted open the crate and bred the female that had been crated in the garage while the owner was at work.

That male was my Kaiser's littermate. Fortunately Kaiser has never been that nutty and his reactions were limited to some whining, pacing, pee licking and not eating normally for a couple days around the time of the bitch's ovulation.

So it really depends on the male.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Crowned Member

Hardy's not that nuts, but he has busted crates in he's within 15 feet of one. So he stays in the house. I've tried having the girls in the house, and him in the kennel. OH NO!! Barking, whining, howling, ugh. obnoxious normally. Wish he acted that way 2 months ago.

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Crowned Member

I boarded a male at the vet clinic (maybe a mile away) while my female was in heat. He busted out of there and headed home

He also went through a window in my house, tore down chain link fencing, plucked the pickets off of privacy fencing, ate through a door and destroyed a number of crates. And he was 10 years old!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 09:22 PM
Crowned Member

Right now Babs and Heidi are in heat. Heidi is ready per Rushie. Because of where there crates lie, Rush is next to babs, but with a shower board between them, and across from Heidi -- I am talking 1/4 inch between Babs and Rush and enough room to open the crate door between Heidi and Rushie.

No whining, but when I put Heidi in her kennel (with a top on it) for the day, then I release Rushie, his urge to merge has cause a blockage between either his ears and brain or between his brain and feet. In any case, he cannot seem to get the message from his ear to his feet to COME when I call him!!! Instead he paces in front of her kennel checking out her butt which she displays, lifting her tail in perfect Hussy fashion.

I would rather have the temporary lapses in obedience than the barking and whining though.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Elite Member

For us there is not enough distance! My males howl and whine for days when Venja is in heat. I keep her at a far distance from them and she has her own potty area during her heat cycle... There is no way my males could be close to her in a crate or kennel, I worry too much about bloat, heat stroke or whatever else they might do to themsleves. All the blood rushes to their reproductive organ and all hearing and sense is lost, LOL! Last heat I sent Venja off to be bred, most sane heat cycle we have had in 2 years!! My sympathies to you during this crazy, mind losing time!

Darlene

Annika Vom HausWesterman 7/30/03-4/18/07
Manto Vom Grum Majestat 5/31/05, work in progress
Bodo Vom Landgraf 7/7/03, Bh, retired
Venja Von HausLohe 6/10/04, Bh

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page