Heat lamp - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Heat lamp

Ok, having first winter litter in a while. I need to get some new bulbs for my heat lamp. I had a red one which broke and currently have a clear one. I remember reading somewhere about the differences between white and red for puppies and something about the eyes and one being better than the other?

anyone?

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Banned

Re: Heat lamp

I've always used the white ones, but will be interested to hear which one is better
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Master Member

Well this is a timely subject ! My Kira just gave birth last night to 10 little ankle biters

I used the red heat lamp for her. Why? 1. Safety-it is made of tempered glass and will not shatter 2. The glow is so much nicer on everyone-mom can still get some sleep without a bright light blaring in her eyes. 3. I can see the puppies just fine without having to turn on additional lighting
It does cost more than double the white one but compared to everything else we buy a couple bucks is no big deal.
I haven't researched this issue but seems like the red is best for me. If someone knows different please let me know.
Here's my girl - she is such a good mom

Kita Vom Smithenhaus x Blackjack of Crooked Creek

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Wonderful companions with the potential for so much more."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Crowned Member

congrats!!!

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Ok, thought I read this somewhere just took some looking:

http://www.askedweb.com/askedweb/Orp...To_Raise_Them/

Be sure to use a red bulb in your heat lamp; a white heat lamp bulb may damage the eyes of newborn puppies.

Don't know how true or not true, though I admit, I see green sometimes after the white one. So I guess why risk it. Stop and get some red bulbs tonight.

Angela

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Master Member

I use the red one too, when I must use heat lamps. I actually prefer just putting a heating pad in the corner under a blanket, as long as the room temperature is warm enough. When I have to have a newborn litter in the basement, where it is cooler, then I do use the heat lamp instead. Boy oh boy do they hike up the electric bill!!

Kandi
Rokanhaus German Shepherds

Canaan CT
"Some Dogs come with a Pedigree, Others Come with a Legacy"
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

With Diesel I can't use a heating pad, she chews the cord. It's like an invader to her space. The heat lamp she leaves alone. I have rugs down etc as my whelping box floor is tile, so it'll be a little colder this time around. So I'll have a reg. heater on the outside of the box and the heatlamp inside on a corner.

Angela

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Where do you find the red ones? The only ones I have found are at livestock supply stores and they are very high watts which is too warm for the puppies.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Same question as Lisa. We've always used white ones or ceramic ones (heat but no light). Only red ones we've seen at the farm stores where we buy ours are too hot, like Lisa said.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

The red ones are still 250 watt. I keep mine about 2.5 to 3 ft off the floor with a thermometer down there. Lowes has the red ones too. Lowes has a lower 125 white/clear infrared bulb.

Angela

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page