Longhair/Plus coat? Breeding? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Longhair/Plus coat? Breeding?

okay, im new to this but have a question. I've been told that i can't breed my German Shepherd due to the fact that he is possibly Longcoat. I think he is more plush. Is there a difference between the two? (Long & Plush?)

Mother & Father can be seen below.

Mother: http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/...ee/406199.html

Father: http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/...ee/456234.html

Here is a couple pictures of him. Please Advise. I have full registration on him.

Both pics taken at around 8 months of age.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 02:54 PM

Re: Longhair/Plus coat? Breeding?

he is a (gorgeous) longcoat. his parents are not, nor are they 'plush' which is not an official coat length anyhow. plush refers to a thicker under coat, which forces the guard hairs to grow more outward and give you a plush or poofier look.

the arm, tail, and especially ear feathers on your boy make his a signature long coat. (i would add again the original pic which you edited out - there was a shadow, but the view of his body was better)

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Crowned Member

Can't and shouldn't are 2 totally different things.

His parents are stock coats with the sire being a bit plushier. He has a nice pedigree but I'd be concerned with one of the grandparents having a3 hips.

Have you certified his hips with OFA?

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: SunCzarinaCan't and shouldn't are 2 totally different things.

His parents are stock coats with the sire being a bit plushier. He has a nice pedigree but I'd be concerned with one of the grandparents having a3 hips.

Have you certified his hips with OFA?
I haven't yet since he just turned a year. Althought im considering getting prelim's done soon.

Thanks!
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

So would he be breedable?

Thanks guys!

Jason
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Crowned Member

He's a longcoat. Why do you want to breed him, anyway? Did he do very well in schutzhund? Has he got a good show rating? Hips and elbows are cleared? Your training director and breeder and several other people very knowledgeable about the breed give you in-depth reasons why he's so much better than other dogs that he should be considered to breed? Just because you have full registration doesn't mean you should breed him.

Heck, seeing that he's a showline, just because his parents and so forth have titles doesn't mean he should be bred. A lot of German showline dogs have their titles handed to them "under the table" or pitifully earned, barely scraping by. If he's one of the few that's getting worked and trialed and truly tested and he proves himself worthy, then it would not be a bad idea to breed him.

Please, if you want to breed, prove he has true GSD temperament by working him and trialing him and testing him. We have way too many dogs being bred that have no business stepping into the gene pool and sadly some of those dogs are titled but still have no business breeding.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Crowned Member

First you dog is a Stock Long Coat, not a plush.

Next in the picture you dogs looks pretty young.

Next you need to at a minimum get some health clearances before even thinking about breeding. The hips and Elbows need to be Certified by OFA or SV. Then I like to see vWD check done.

It would also be nice if the dog had some training.

Most people who are knowledgeable about GSD's aren't going to come flocking to your door to bred to an untitled LC. There are enough really nice stud dogs out there with health clearances and some type of titles.

Val

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Crowned Member

I'm going to try to say this as nice as possible - before you get jumped by all the purists here.

Why? The purpose of having a stud dog is to better the breed.

Long coat is a disqualifying fault.

He is gorgeous but that shouldn't be the sole purpose of breeding a dog. Before being bred, the dog should pass temperament tests specific to the breed, not to be a jerk, but is your dog training for these? Studs especially are expected to have some certifications to make them breed worthy.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: autigersfanjcSo would he be breedable?

Thanks guys!

Jason
Anything with sexual organs is breedable. What I would do is train him in schutzhund, title him on different fields with different helpers (not the home field- get him out of his comfort zone), get his health clearances (as many as possible), and get a show rating, and then MAYBE I'll think about breeding him. If I saw anything in his training that made me question his temperament, no way would I breed him. A good pet and companion must have SOLID nerves and schutzhund is one of the very few ways to truly and accurately test the dog. We need to know if it has bombproof nerves, biddability, drive, intelligence, strength, stamina, endurance, and courage, plus the ability to just be a pet and be accepting (not necessarily social) of people. If it doesn't have those qualities, it is not a GSD.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Crowned Member

Honestly, I would not mind one bit breeding a long stock coat or getting a pup out of a long stock coat, but that dog had darn well better be ridiculously awesome. It should be healthy and from a line of dogs known for good health, it should have rock solid temperament, high drive, a solid off button, biddable, courageous, strong, intelligent, agile, able to work one day and lounge with the family and kids the next. It should be a true breed ambassador. The coat's just details for me, but that's just my opinion. A good dog's a good dog, but if it's a long coat, it should prove to be a BETTER dog first.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page