what puppy tests todo? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

what puppy tests todo?

As previously mentioned I don't breed but a new friend does and has asked me what tests to do to determine best matches for puppies and owners. She has bred a few litters and is trying to do better for herself and learn more. I have given her this site and suggested she look but in the mean time what tests would you recommend she do with her litter she has just had, she has xrayed all breeding stock and is looking for puppy temperment tests. She has temperment tested and titled parents.

Her current litter is a working (check line girl) to a I think show line male, and she doesn't want to sell working hard drive dogs to unexpected people. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Crowned Member

Re: what puppy tests todo?

Most of the breeders I now don't do ANY formal "puppy testing" they just watch and interact with the puppies from birth.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Crowned Member

I do formal at 7 wks, but I pretty much already know what I'm going to get. It's more for the owner's benefit than mine.

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 04:17 PM

Hi

The breeder we got Hardy from did a form of aptitude test on the pups, and like previous poster said she knew what the results would be but did it more for the buyers to see why she had selected each pup for each owner.

If you google puppy aptitude tests you will find different links, and the Monks of New Skete puppy book has one in the back too. But here is a link to one
http://workingdogs.com/testing_volhard.htm

Hope that is of some help
Janine

Janine

Hardy - GSD
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Crowned Member

I had someone in to test this litter at five weeks. She came and checked the puppies to see if they were sound sensitive, whether they would come up to her, she crackled up a plastic bottle and dropped it in there and watched which puppy came away with it, and which puppies were not interested. She noted which puppy brought it back to us.

I do not remember everything she did, but it was interesting to watch. Scarlet was the one that took the bottle and fought her tooth and nail when she tried to get it from her.

Skye, grabbed the bottle and climbed over the whelping box so she could have it where her buddies couldn't get it. (Scarlet kept taking it through the doggy door to the outside.) Pinkie was the first to bring the bottle back to her. Violet really wanted nothing to do with her or her bottle.

She came back at seven and eight weeks old, and it was interesting to see how the different pups acted on different days.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I usually know which pup is going where, but I do want to see how the pups react to stress. I want to see how they handle being put into a strange environment alone with a person they don't know. Do they still show the same drives, grip, soundness, etc as they did when with their littermates in familiar surroundings.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 08:32 PM
Crowned Member

For rescue, I used to get to help doing the puppy tests. I LOVED doing that. The person who did the tests was a Delta pet therapy evaluator. She had the foster take the puppies to another volunteer's house where they had never been, and would not meet the puppies prior to doing the test. Which meant I also could not play with them until after the test-difficult!

Then their foster/any known persons would have to leave-we tried to have setups where they could watch without the puppies seeing/sensing them.

So there were the puppies, all alone in a place they'd never been with two total strangers. It was really interesting and I loved doing it, no matter how tired I was. She used the Volhard puppy test. It was amazing in some of the litters the variations, and in others the similarities. And the idea of genetic temperament.

One group...oh my...they had a hard time with the tests themselves.

And my poor Mariele, who I ended up adopting (who was neither a GSD or a baby puppy during her test-but was very small ), was the one we laughed as the first ever to actually fail the tests-she went catatonic for all of them, it was actually heartbreaking.

So your friend would want to find someone experienced in doing the tests in addition to her own careful observation of the puppy's behavior, as well as her ability to read and understand purchasers (not what they say they want necessarily, but what they should have), in order to make the best matches.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

We do formal puppy testing at 7 weeks old, but it is only a small part of the evaluation process. By that time, we already have a very good idea of the drives and various personality characteristics of each pup from just watching them and interacting with them over several weeks. Our main reason to do the puppy tests is to see how the pups react in a strange environment and interacting one-on-one with a strange person to compare to what we see at home in a familiar environment surrounded by well known people, littermates, etc... It is rare for a puppy test to reveal a surprise about a pup, and the majority of the time they just confirm what we already knew.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAANSo your friend would want to find someone experienced in doing the tests in addition to her own careful observation of the puppy's behavior, as well as her ability to read and understand purchasers (not what they say they want necessarily, but what they should have), in order to make the best matches.
I agree 100% with this. Puppy tests are useless if not done by someone who knows how to test properly and knows how to correctly interpret the pups' behavior. Great harm can come from misinterpreting puppy behavior and then using that incorrect information to place pups in homes.

It would be best for someone experienced with puppy testing to test the litter for 2 reasons: First, puppy tests are best when done by a strange person (and in a strange location), as familiarity with the tester can skew the results. Second, this is a great way for the breeder to learn more about puppy testing from someone with the knowledge and experience to teach her.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page