Stud Contracts - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to GranvilleGSD
Stud Contracts

When breeding your bitch to an outside male, what should you look for in a stud contract? Is there anything specific you want to have in writing? Or anything that puts red flags out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 10:47 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Stud Contracts

When stud fee is due....I have paid after pups are born and other studs at time of service. How many pups constitue a litter. Can you substitue a different female if you don't get pups. How many returns do you get. That your female must have a current brucellious. Has the male been recently checked for fertility and/or f you don't get pups in 2 breedings, will they check the male for fertility and refund your fee if collected.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Banned

I look at if the male has had his hips done (OFA ), also would like to know when the male was bred prior to your female breeding.

Lee has covered the rest, When we bred to Andy Maly Vah last year I wanted to know what he had produced and if you could get some references from prior breeding and also if the male would breed naturally or if an AI is required. Most studs have the female come to their location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Crowned Member

There is a few more things to add to the basci list above; just got back from traveling and will post what we have (and have worked on in conjunction with other breeders).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Crowned Member

From a stud dog owner's view, basic stuff in addition to the female needing to be in good shape as well as Gabor does test the temperament.

1. Payment at time of service. Why should the stud dog owner wait for the puppies to be sold? We pay at time of service to the outside studs that we have used. But, we also plan out the litters months in advance.

2. Progesterone; smears are not as accurate.

3. Not only current brucell. for the female (plus, clean and updated on vaccs or proof of titres), but a deep culture. What if the female had pyro and the female owner did not let the stud dog owner know? How have they verified that the female is clear?

4. One return service if 1 puppy or no puppies. Recommend that a thyroid be done, if 1 or none. Talk to the female owner to see if they have missed before with other males. What has the female produced before? Need to ensure that female is healthy and nothing preventing conception.

Will go back and look again....

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to mkennels Send a message via Yahoo to mkennels

Ask the stud owner if they can provide copies of any health tests done and/or titles, I give copies of everything my boys have done (akc/ukc papers, pedigree, health tests, any certificates with titles on them) I also email them photos of what he has produced in past, I also ask to see the females pedigree (in this day and age sometimes the dogs is related and not knowing) too many inbred dogs out there if that is the case if they don't like the other male I have (I have 2) then I will help them find a suitable male, I require stud fee at time of service unless I am wanting a pup from that breeding, I will also help in placement in pups if they would so like that, I ask for current brucellious, shots, worming and kennel cough, I give a return service if 2 or less live puppies from a studding (if happens twice then i suggest getting female checked out if stud has been proven before of nice healthy sized litters)

Janet
UKC CH Mystical Talyn D'Argo, TT, OFA H/E, CERF, AKC DNA
UKC CH Gretchen Julika Little Star, TT, OFA, Cerf, AKC DNA
Von Hornberger's Mystical Knight, TT, CERF, AKC DNA, OFA
Ranita's Heavenly Angel R.I.P 9/15/07-10/15/08

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Master Member

Sue, since Gabor tests the bitch's temperament (and consequently, their nerves), do you require them to be titled in order to breed to your males?

Cruiser ~ Brix ~ Ferra ~ Ginte ~ Bacardi
Kira ~ Gitta ~ Maik ~ Amalka ~ Hety ~ Taz
Rudy ~ Ari ~ Dami

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Crowned Member

So far, they have been. We have not been approached by someone with an untitled female.

I would think that he still would want to work the dog - he is very black and white, upfront about what he thinks about the dog when he sees/tests it. He likes to do that prior to really looking at the pedigree. We are lucky; a lot of the dogs in the pedigrees he has seen/worked progeny or actually seen/worked the dogs himself. Doing this for 40 years and his hands on work helps a LOT.

I found a picture of him at club in Budapest when he was Youth National Champion at 17........ That I am getting scanned and sent here!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Master Member

That's REALLY impressive! I admire your breeding program a lot.

Not to go off topic- but have you bred Enzo? What are his progency like? Also is Dax from the same litter as Molinari Dariusz? I had a female out of Molinari Desi, however I could never find ANY information about the dog. She is a littermate to Dariusz.

Cruiser ~ Brix ~ Ferra ~ Ginte ~ Bacardi
Kira ~ Gitta ~ Maik ~ Amalka ~ Hety ~ Taz
Rudy ~ Ari ~ Dami

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 07:48 AM
Crowned Member

Thank you.

Molinari Dax is littermate to Molinari Dariusz - We got to meet Connie a few years ago and had seen Dariusz and Dax when they were little. We got Dax when he was a young male - the photo on the site is from when he was a young and lanky 2 years old. Gabor trained and titled Molinari Dax before Enzo. HUGE head, BIG boy really true Czech black sable (not dark sable) - so much, you thought he was black before he got close to you. My kitty kat dog tha loved to sit on my lap.

Will post later today. Off to work!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page