Looney tunes..read on - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Looney tunes..read on

Hi
I have a 2 year old Belgian Malinois, explosives. I am wondering if my issue is aggression or just a dog being a dog. I who work in K-9 and recently I have noticed my dog just goes bonkers when I come in to the kennel area or if he sees the other trucks that he knows has dogs in them. At home, in the car ANYWHERE else, at the park, out of the car on lead he is fine. He obeys me etc. But when he is in the back of the cruiser, he absolutely loses it with barking, pawing at everything, and ripping into whatever he can. If I open the door and tell him to sit, he does so calmly and gets petted. As soon as I shut the door, he goes nutso. I know the Malinois temperment is a bit different than a GSD but Im hoping for a little insight. These dogs we work with are kennel dogs and have had little socialization, so no one knows if they are fighters or not. I have no idea what to do to get him to calm down. Let me know if yo need more info. Not sure if i shoulda posted this in aggression board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 04:42 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Looney tunes..read on

I don't think its aggression
2 is still a puppy and sounds friendly
I don't know much about Mals but it sounds to me as a pup being a pup. and loves attention

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Yeah he definitly still has a lot of puppy in him and that is a frequent comment. However, if it something I can address now then I would like to. I dont want it to be something that I have to deal with for the next 6+ years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 06:30 PM

It's not all that unusual for a dog, in his transport vehicle, to appear aggressive. It can be controlled if you want to do that, it's just a matter of reinforceing the "out" command. Most of the time though, handlers just ignore it. That is as long as they have immediate control once the dog is removed from the vehicle.

DFrost
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 06:55 PM

It sounds like puppy excitement to me.

Try to be the person your dog thinks you are
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Not sure what the OUT command is, because he is explosives the onlyout command he gets is to give me the Kong back... it is defintitly somethign I dont want to ignore, because it gets way too annoying, so if there is something I can do to make it better Id love to learn
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 12:08 AM
Crowned Member

I'd say it's either barrier aggression or excitement. My last gsd was like this in the truck and it was terrible. There was nothing I could do, short of telling him to stop, b/c he was in the bed and I was in the cab.

My mal was like this when we saw other dogs on walks. At first I wasn't sure if it was dog aggression or excitement. I socialized him with other dogs and he was fine but it was still a problem on leash. I counter conditioned him and had him focus on me and redirected him to a toy. Pretty soon I could say "Watch Me" when another dog was coming and he would focus on me instead of the dog. This will be really hard when you're driving though unless you can get someone else to drive and you can handle him. Do you have a trainer you work with? Perhaps some sessions in the car with the trainer handling the dog could help.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Choppa12Not sure what the OUT command is, because he is explosives the onlyout command he gets is to give me the Kong back... it is defintitly somethign I dont want to ignore, because it gets way too annoying, so if there is something I can do to make it better Id love to learn
I should have been more specific. You can teach the dog a command to cease all aggression. Even though he may be a single purpose detector dog, you can teach a command to silence, or cease showing aggression. Often times, with dogs that spend a lot of time in a transport vehicle, they begin to show some territorial aggression. The barking and aggressive display is reinforced when nothing happens to stop it. We teach "out" to patrol dogs, meaning; cease all aggression. The command can be anything as long as it's consistent.

DFrost
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Crowned Member

Not sure what the OUT command is, because he is explosives the onlyout command he gets is to give me the Kong back... it is defintitly somethign I dont want to ignore, because it gets way too annoying, so if there is something I can do to make it better Id love to learn

How is he in other circumstances? You need to get this under control. If for no other reason, the dog blows himself out going ballistic in the car and won't be ready to search when you need him. Not to mention this will only get worse. He is no puppy,you need to get hold of him
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

In ALL other circumstances he is great. My neighbors can't believe how quiet he is. He NEVER barks. On walks he is a great heeler. When I take him out and walk around the trucks he heels. It is work because i Know he wants to break the heel, but he knows he will get corrected. But off lead if I am throwing the ball and he catches a glimpse of a black truck, he will bomb toward that. But I can tell it has got worse, not the worst, but worse...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page