purchasing - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

purchasing

I'm looking to purchase a dog for a companion for myself and my other dog. I would like to purchase a protection dog b/c of a ton of drug activity around my area and I want my family to be safe when i'm away.
Does anyone have any links to GOOD breeders/sales of thsi type of animal. I have done some research myself and have noticed some of these dogs are outrangously overpriced. Thanks for any replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to mkennels Send a message via Yahoo to mkennels
Re: purchasing

where are you located at

Janet
UKC CH Mystical Talyn D'Argo, TT, OFA H/E, CERF, AKC DNA
UKC CH Gretchen Julika Little Star, TT, OFA, Cerf, AKC DNA
Von Hornberger's Mystical Knight, TT, CERF, AKC DNA, OFA
Ranita's Heavenly Angel R.I.P 9/15/07-10/15/08

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Pennsylvania about 1 hour from pittsburgh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Banned

you want a dog for you and your other dog and you want your family to be safe. i think that should be you want a dog to protect your family then as a companion for you and your other dog.

now what's outrageously over priced to you? do you know the cost of dogs? do you want a puppy or a dog that's trained? what price range do you have in mind for a dog or puppy???
Quote:
Originally Posted By: axle5I'm looking to purchase a dog for a companion for myself and my other dog. I would like to purchase a protection dog b/c of a ton of drug activity around my area and I want my family to be safe when i'm away.
Does anyone have any links to GOOD breeders/sales of thsi type of animal. I have done some research myself and have noticed some of these dogs are outrangously overpriced. Thanks for any replies.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 02:56 AM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

A protection trained dog has a TON of training which does not come "cheap". If you take short cuts you will be left with a HUGE liability on your hands. Most any GSD will be a deterrent alone without the PP training. A lot of ppl live in "dangerous" areas but 99% of the ppl do not nor SHOULD own a PP dog. They may come trained, however, that training needs to be maintained. Which will cost even more money. Also if you have a PP dog and your insurance company finds out it could mean a raise in rates or dropping the policy outright. A PP dog is bite trained and many people misunderstand that for a vicious dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 03:16 AM
Crowned Member

This is the dog that has some anxiety issues, right? I really think you should work with that dog first before adding another to your pack.

If and when you do choose to add another please be aware that gsds do not have to be protection trained to be effective deterrents. Rafi is not even a gsd and is smaller (Mal size) and I can walk anywhere with him at night and people give us a very wide berth. My last gsd, Basu, was so protective of our yard and house that people avoided even passing it!

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 06:22 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to mkennels Send a message via Yahoo to mkennels

I have a half west german show half american and lets just say no one will be walking into my house that shouldn't be, out of my 3 dogs she is the one I know will protect us, she has shown us that before, my other one he looks at her and leaves it to her and my youngest is still growing but getting more protective, and they haven't had any training, you should find a nice german bred dog in my opinion (I have one german and one american as well) it all depends on who you get one from as well, if you are looking for a puppy and don't want to rescue I know of a couple good breeders in Va that is reasonable

Janet
UKC CH Mystical Talyn D'Argo, TT, OFA H/E, CERF, AKC DNA
UKC CH Gretchen Julika Little Star, TT, OFA, Cerf, AKC DNA
Von Hornberger's Mystical Knight, TT, CERF, AKC DNA, OFA
Ranita's Heavenly Angel R.I.P 9/15/07-10/15/08

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Elite Member

buy the biggest, scariest looking dog u can find.

i have my dog involved in PSA as a sport, not because i need protection. GSD's are scary looking and are naturally protective but they all are very capable to be a companion dog. if u buy a pup/young dog just check the parents backround and make sure that ur getting a solid dog. nerve bags dont make a good protection dog as they are easy to run off.

PPD's are not a companion dog, well they can be but most of them come wired a bit different. with my short experience i have seen some very intense dogs that could care less about being pampered. on the other hand i have also seen very intense dogs that would make a perfect house dog. my advise would be that if u do consider a PPD to make sure that the dogs personality suits your lifestyle.

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Anyhow, we contacted a dog company what has protection dogs, police dogs, etc. and asked them about the dog pedigrees. They said they dont keep the dogs pedigree when they get them. They actually shed the documents so there is no trace of were the dogs come from so someone can't come back on the buyer or them incase the dogs start winning money at shows or things like that. (I was really questioning this company at this point)

I then asked to sendme more information and they sent me documents showing dogs with dutch ring titles and police dogs purchased through them.

My question is: No pedigrees, is it a risk?

Sorry about the words misspelled b/c my keyboard is messing up.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 09:04 PM

As a trainer for a relatively large police canine unit, pedigrees never mattered to me. Having said that though, I don't buy puppies. That gives me the advantage of doing my own health checks and behavior tests. Pedigrees don't guarentee anything. However, I have purchased dogs from vendors that come with their "papers". The vendors I know pass the pedigrees along, if the dog has one. Whether or not they have one is immaterial to me as a trainer.

DFrost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page