Collar or Harness for Agitation - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Collar or Harness for Agitation

Thought about putting this in the Equipment section but thought this would be more appropriate since it's related to protection work.

I'm curious what is most preferred, agitation collars or agitation harnesses.

Where do you get yours from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Master Member

Re: Collar or Harness for Agitation

I just ordered a padded agitation collar from http://www.bridgeportequipment.com they were very helpful. My trainer prefers collars over harnesses. She thinks the harnesses twist & rub too much.

Dawn S

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting HOLY S%*T what a ride!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Crowned Member

Agitation harness and a bungee tie out. Harness much much better for the dog. Harness does not harm the dog and distributes the pressure. You want the dog to come out and hit the end of the bungee,not get jerked around by a collar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

For most dogs I also prefer the harness. Safer and more comfortable for the dog, no stress or torquing on the neck. But, handlers must be careful to make sure the harness is adjusted properly so the dog can't get loose. The other downside to a harness is they allow the dogs more reach. Dogs can stretch through the harness, getting a couple extra inches (enough to get a bite when they shouldn't) and this is more difficult with a collar. But for most work, I think the harness is better and less risk of injury to the dog.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Banned

I have to agree with Chris. A thick collar can cause injury if used wrong. A harness seems to give a handler better control than a collar
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Chris WildFor most dogs I also prefer the harness. Safer and more comfortable for the dog, no stress or torquing on the neck. But, handlers must be careful to make sure the harness is adjusted properly so the dog can't get loose. The other downside to a harness is they allow the dogs more reach. Dogs can stretch through the harness, getting a couple extra inches (enough to get a bite when they shouldn't) and this is more difficult with a collar. But for most work, I think the harness is better and less risk of injury to the dog.
One must test the harness and bungee to determine how far out the dog can reach first. Especially when using the bungee. easy to do
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Chris WildFor most dogs I also prefer the harness. Safer and more comfortable for the dog, no stress or torquing on the neck. But, handlers must be careful to make sure the harness is adjusted properly so the dog can't get loose. The other downside to a harness is they allow the dogs more reach. Dogs can stretch through the harness, getting a couple extra inches (enough to get a bite when they shouldn't) and this is more difficult with a collar. But for most work, I think the harness is better and less risk of injury to the dog.
One must test the harness and bungee to determine how far out the dog can reach first. Especially when using the bungee. easy to do
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

I'm looking at one of the harnesses from Elite K-9
http://www.elitek9.com/Harnesses/index.htm

3-POINT, LEATHER AGITATION HARNESS
Handmade leather harness perfect for all agitation work.
Felt padding is 8mm thick for extra comfort. Works great with
Bungee Agitation Lines.

Features include:
Adjustable straps that are 1 1/4" in width.
Quality made stitches and rivets.
Welded nickel plated hardware.

Black in color
#H13 / Medium $54.95 (28" to 37" girth) fits most Malinois
Around the chest 28-37"
Around the neck 13-23"

#H13 / Large $59.95 (28" to 44" girth) fits most Shepherds
Around the chest 31-41"
Around the neck 17-27"
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 11:44 AM

I dead link the choke chain. I may use a leather collar on occasion. The leash is in the handler's hand. It's a team effort from the beginning.

DFrost
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 10:55 PM

I would go with Harness for young dogs or dogs new to protection. Flat collar for intermediate to advanced dogs. I think the harness is especially helpful for the initial parts of training as it does not discourage the pup, and encourages them to build a good bite. Flat collars work better on more advanced dogs because you have a certain increase in the amount of control.

Like Chris said, make sure the harness is snug. Zonya figured out how to do a backwards twist out of hers early on.

Which brings up another VERY good point in my opinion. Always use a police lead so that you have two connections on the dog. One on harness and one on Prong/Choke. If not for my police lead, there would be some very hurt decoys out there as Zonya will often go for unprotected areas.

Rochele Smit
Centennial Working Dogs

Kiesha von Traumland: 7yrs old, GSD
FO PA Zonya de Gestreepte Tijger: 3yrs old, Dutchie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page