Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 03:50 PM
Crowned Member

Re: attack command!!

Ok, define "attack". Do you want the dog to:

1. Keep someone at bay by barking
2. Keep someone at bay by barking and, if necessary, biting
3. Bite and hold someone until help arrives

#1 is easy to do - just teach your dog to bark on command and then use the command any time you feel threatened. Most 'bad guys' will walk away from a barking dog (especially a GSD).

#2 & #3 will take years of training, which your dog might not be suitable for anyway. You would need to have the dog evaulated to see if it has the right temperament to be a personal protection dog. Then you need to go through all the initial training and frequently do follow up training.

AND you would need to talk to your insurance company about liability protection. If a bad guy breaks into your house and stabs you and your dog bites him - he CAN sue you. Doesn't matter than he broke into your house.

Personally, I go with the fact that a German Shepherd already has 'reputation' due to the breed being used as police dogs. Add to that a good bark (on command) and you won't have to worry about 99% of the criminals out there.
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Crowned Member

My dogs are just plain ole loving pets but I would have to say you teach it to attack by having it properly trained by a professional.

• Thor & Riggs Brothers to the end. 24 May 2005 - 17 Jan 2017
  • Misha-9 yr Calico kitty, Mischief-9 yr tabby hellion (littermates)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Knighted Member

My initial response is; Why would you want to?

Second: If you're really looking for protection trained dog, you would want to find a qualified experienced trainer in the protection field for evaluation and to train under.

You also want to consider the liability issue. Looking at some of the wonderful pictures of your puppy, it looks like you may be in a neighborhood where your neighbors are close by?

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah I have to agree!!
Why would you want your dog to attack unless you were a K-9 Cop

My trainer taught me "WATCH THEM" which gets Brady to do Big boy bark and usually scares people.

But if I am walking ans see someone I try it for the heck of it and he does nothing cause he knows I am fine

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 04:23 PM
Elite Member

in my experience which is fairly limited

PEOPLE ARE JUST SCARED OF THEM HAHAHH

When we has Ernie the ups guy would not come near the house LOL ahhaha Ernie big Wus and he didn't knowq that hahah hahahah

Whever we went people just are afraid and that is enough

If someone ever went to hurt you and the dog sensed it I think he would react matter of fact think any dog might

one thing I would like to share
we moved from Va to Nc and stayed in hotel
walked to waffle house 2 blocks away.... we came back adn the door to hotel opened and hew as gone
we paniced big road near there
i got in car and went quickly to waffle house
he tracked us there and was pawing the door in the pouring rain to find us

wrapped the fender on the car was so excited to see him LOl
and from that point forward we could never board or leave him alone in hotels

Loved that dog

KATHY
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 04:30 PM
Crowned Member

Buy a handgun. Learn to use it. Be a man (or woman) and learn to defend yourself and your family.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Mandalay Send a message via Yahoo to Mandalay

Quote:
Originally Posted By: EmooreBuy a handgun. Learn to use it. Be a man (or woman) and learn to defend yourself and your family.
I have to second this. If someone were to break in and Mandalay were to bark...would I want her to go at them not knowing if they were armed or not and if so, what they were armed with? No. I would not want to risk my dog leaping at someone holding a gun or a knife. I want her to bark like a freak and if they call her bluff and come in anyway, I want her to move the h3ll out of the way so my husband or I can take care of it.

(sidenote: I own a pink Taurus...PINK!! I LIVE for the day that someone will break in and I can tell the cops I shot them with a PINK gun!!! Seriously, I dont really look forward to it, and I hope with everything that it never happens, but how great would it be for Mr. Macho break-in guys friends to find out he was shot by a woman and her pink handgun )

-
-
Mandalay, GSD, CGC, DOB 01-31-08
Mazy, White Boxer, DOB ? Sometime in 2010 we think
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VectorSketcher

Mandalay - I like your pink handgun idea, ha ha!

I have to agree with everyone else, to teach an attack I would think a professional trainer would be the way to go if you really wanted to go that way. With Riddick I tell him "Whose Here" or "Watch Him" and he will focus intently on who ever it is, never barking until that person makes a movement towards us. But like everyone else said I think just the fact that a GSD is staring you down has most people freaked, so no need to add force behind it unless you and your dog are trained properly. I would like to confidently know that I could turn that kind of force on and off like a switch before invoking it.

-michelle-
Riddick-4yr GSD
Rogue-1yr GSD
Bishop-10yr Cat
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Elite Member

im gonna get a sign to put on my window that says

"the dog is nice"
"BEWARE OF OWNER"

right now im doing protection work with tyson. im not doing it because im a big wuss. im 6'1 and 175lbs and can snipe a humming bird from a 100 yards...i can hold my own...so the reason for the training is to give tyson a "job." if u really want ur dog to be a protection dog and not just a scary one then have him/her trained.

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page