Living with a working K9 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Living with a working K9

I have a few questions about living with a working dog, specifically Police K9, in general. I would imagine the answers will vary anyway.
Do you kennel outside? Crate in the house?
If you have other non-working dogs, are they constantly in their company or do you keep them seperate for the most part?
If you keep them seperate, is it just because they don't get along or for other reasons?
Are there different rules for working and non-working in the house?
Why do you do things your particular way?

Any insight into the home life of a working dog is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 07:36 PM

Re: Living with a working K9

Often times, whether or not a dog lives in the house is dependant on the dog. Some dogs develop behaviors that are not compatible with working, when living in the house. they stay in the kennel. Some live in the house with no problems. some, while controllable animals, just don't need to be around small children, they usually live in a kennel, if the handler has small children. Some handlers dn't want the dog living in the house, they live in the kennel. Some woudln't have it any other way, than for the dog to be in the house. It really boils down to the dog and how the handler feels about having a dog in the house.

DFrost
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DFrostSome dogs develop behaviors that are not compatible with working, when living in the house. they stay in the kennel.
DFrost
That;s what I am wondering. What kind of behaviors may develop? What about exposure to other dogs? Assuming they get along, are there behaviors that may develop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 08:59 AM
Crowned Member

My working dogs stay in a kennel. I do not want them in the AC in this climate. They must aclimate to the working conditions. If they live in the AC, the heat and humidity kicks their butt when they are put to work. I have fans on them,but no AC. They are not pets, they work. Some of these dogs would not make a nice house dog. My dogs are kept separate.
I prefer the dogs to know that when I grab them it is time to go to work. The house doggy thing is not that great for a working dog.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks. I have had a similar answer for here except it isn't the humidity, its the cold.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Crowned Member

wow, Just noticed. Yes, you do have a bit of chilly weather...... beats a hurricane! Ike kicked our butts down here......
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Hey, Renee, glad to see you back! Everyone on your family ok??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 09:28 PM
Crowned Member

Well, Ike kicked our butts. Have some damage to my home, kennels,barns, trees down everywhere,but all in all very,very lucky compared to many in the area who have no home at all. Was a long night. Myself and 15 dogs stayed on a military ship in my port. Have some interesting video
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Wow, I can't imagine. Glad you guys are ok. I'll take a snowstorm anyday.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 08:31 AM
Elite Member

Glad you are OK in TX.
St. Paul k9 unit has outdoor kennels for their dogs; built in the yard of the handlers. They stay out in the kennel all year long. My friend who is an officer will take her dog inside the house in a crate when its gets extremely cold. We can get to 30 below up here (and over 100 and humid in the summer) Dogs need that double coat! they have GSDs, I guess they do better with the climate.

Sarah

"Sita" Rosewoods Hot Tamale CD 2/6/00~3/26/08
"Nandi" Celhaus Rama Ring of Fire IPO 1, AKC TD, CGC 12/18/2004
Pele vom Landschaft IPO 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in