diesel, the k9 who died in the police car update - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

diesel, the k9 who died in the police car update

so, i finally read a week's worth of newspapers today and here are the results of the internal investigation into this dog's death

1-the police chief had ordered the handler to remove the dog from the station b/c the dog smelled bad and that smell was permeating the entire police station

2-the car that had been assigned as a k9 unit had a history of AC failures twice before this; nonetheless, it was issued to the k9 handler and no alarm was put in it

3-the dog was checked on 2x before he died

4-the hood of the car may have been left down

So, this having been said, the police chief has suspended the k9 program for a while; it's reportedly a temporary measure; the policy and procedures have been rewritten and now the k9 officers must eat in their cars and kennels are being installed at the PD so officers have a place to leave their dogs when they must be at the station

A very sad situation; but what's very concerning is that the chief didn't own up to #1 and 2 from the beginning; that this became public knowledge only after the results of the investigation were made public

RIP Diesel; may your death bring sweeping changes to police agencies across this country so that no other dog must die as you did
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 09:51 PM

Re: diesel, the k9 who died in the police car upda

Fox guarding the hen house.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Crowned Member

Re: diesel, the k9 who died in the police car update

[quote=RIP Diesel; may your death bring sweeping changes to police agencies across this country so that no other dog must die as you did [/quote]

Will all respect. We do not need "sweeping" changes. There are thousands of we police k9 officers. You do not hear of this everyday. One checks one's car. I check mine every 15minutes or we relay if there are several of us. I have an air conditioned dog trainer and do not assume it is working. I continuously check it. Just something one has to do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Re: diesel, the k9 who died in the police car update

no offense taken; like you, i always checked my car; but not all k9 officers do; and AC car alarms are not infallible; murphy's law prevails; i've known too many officers who were very complacent and relied exclusively on the alarms, infrequently checking on their dogs and truly believing that the dogs were safe b/c the alarm had been installed; i'm not willing to trust an alarm w/a dog's life; i appluad you and your dept for checking on your dogs as you do; that's is how it should be

and you are very right, this is a rare occurrence and the majority of officers are very caring and conscientious; but not all are and i'd like to see policy changes to help prevent a tragedy like this from happening again, anywhere; policy changes would honor diesel's life and service to his community

i'm very upset w/ the chief who knowingly assigned that car as a k9 car; it had a history of 2 prior AC failures; it should never have been used w/o a complete AC system overhaul and the installation of the alarm; and the k9 officer should have been made aware of this history; the officer is both a new police officer and a new k9 officer; this was her 1st dog and she had him less than a year; this has been a devastating experience for her; i don't argue that she used poor judgement, she did; and she's paid an incredible price and will have to live w/her choice for the rest of her life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page